Quick look at Another Stakeout/Can't Buy Me Love/Down & Out in Beverly Hills

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHR, Aug 9, 2002.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I just spent a few minutes checking out a few new releases from Disney, and they're all disappointing. If their idea of releasing catalog titles for $20 means we get sub-standard transfers, things are not looking up. I'd rather pay a little more for better transfers and a few extras.

"Another Stakeout" (2.35:1) and "Down & Out in Beverly Hills" (1.85:1) are at least in 16X9, while "Can't Buy Me Love" (1.33:1) is in 4X3. It appears to be a full-frame transfer, but still should have been matted for 16X9.

All three are improvements over the previous laserdisc transfers, but still suffer from very poor shadow detail and black levels. The transfers are pretty washed out and lack any definition in colors or background details.
    Each movie has been afforded a generous 10 chapters!

The only extras are trailers (seemingly transfered from VHS) for "Beaches" and "Spy Hard", while the featured films' trailers are not included.

"AS" has been remastered for Dolby 5.1, while "D&OIBH" is 2.0 surround and "CBML" is 2.0 mono (the cover incorrectly states surround).

Right now, I believe Disney is the worst offender when it comes to consistent quality transfers. Their recent trend of releasing catalog titles between $10 and $20 is a sign they will not be putting much, if any, effort into quality presentations of many older films we have been waiting for.

As is, they're not worthy upgrades to one's existing LD or VHS copy...maybe if they were priced at $10. I just don't like spending more money for something I already own, if it's only going to be a marginal improvement. Of course, I should have known better. Sigh...

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't get it.

Disney is a financially sound and they can't bother with making new transfers of many of their films...

But MGM is going down the toilet, yet they can make new anamorphic transfers for their DVD's...plus do a pretty good job on them.

3. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

I assumed "Can't Buy Me Love" would be 16x9 since it's not a "family film". I guess I was wrong.
    Thanks for saving me a trip to Best Buy, Disney! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was desperately looking forward to Cant' Buy Me Love...but my decision is final:
    [c]NO OAR = NO SALE![/c]
    [​IMG]

5. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Chuck,
    You'll still be going to BestBuy. You'll just be buying something else that day![​IMG]

6. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

7. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I also would have bought Can't Buy Me Love, but not NOW!

8. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Not to spew heresy, but Can't Buy Me Love looks pretty darn good on my 16x9 set, zoomed in with the "Theater 1" mode to crop the top and bottom. And it doesn't have the awful, VHS quality video of a many other Disney releases of late (Natty Gann, Blackbeard's Ghost). I found the video quality to be "as good as I can expect". Maybe I'll post some screen shots if I have the time. The sound was everything I remember.
    I never had the Laserdisc, so I can't do a comparison, but I think this is an OK release that will bring back a lot of memories for a lot of people.

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

So Can't Buy Me Love is open-matte, then? I couldn't find the OAR listed at IMDB. Maybe I will break down and buy it then. I refuse to buy cropped movies, but if I can zoom in and get an approximation of OAR that might be acceptable for a movie I've always wanted on DVD this bad.

It's only going to be $11.99 at Best Buy on Tuesday (as is Stakeout).

For $12 I might just get it now.

10. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I just reluctantly cancelled my pre-order for 'Can't Buy Me Love'. Luckily it had not shipped yet.

Damn you, Disney. I was looking forward to it.

11. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm going to assume thatCocktail and the original Stakeout are going to receive the same crappy treatment as the other titles mentioned thus far. I'll probably still get Cocktail provided it's 16X9 as it is an old '80s favorite. But still, what a shame that Disney refuses to do more.[​IMG]

12. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Joseph...

Cocktail and Stakeout are both 16x9 and 5.1DD.

No fear there.

I can't speak for the quality though, maybe someone else can.

-Chad

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I'm getting the Stakeouts myself. As long as they are OAR I can live with them. Has to be better than VHS!

14. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Just finished watching STAKEOUT. The transfer is on par with the others: very grainy with poor shadow detail.
    Should have been better. At least it's anamorphic (1.85:1) and remastered in 5.1 Dolby.

Trailers for SPY HARD and DEUCE BIGALOW.

15. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the mini review Matt. There are no reviews on any of these titles that i could find.