What's new

Questions Shout! Factory Answers On Facebook About Stalled Holy Grail Shows (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy70005

Auditioning
Real Name
Erich
Historically, first seasons sell the best anyway even if they're not the best season. If Rhoda didn't sell well-enough to justify a release of its little-seen—and not even shown in its entirety by CBS—last season, it's at least partly because they cut so many corners on the first season set that my guess can only be that it left a bad taste in people's mouths about the rest. It certainly left one in mine. But I would gladly have bought this and Father Knows Best had they not been released with outdated, edited masters from the get-go.

Technically, Rhoda wasn't cancelled by CBS. They only contracted for 9 episodes in the fifth season (a sure sign that the end is near) and they got and aired all 9 episodes. Afterwards, the series "wasn't renewed." All episodes produced were aired.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Technically, Rhoda wasn't cancelled by CBS. They only contracted for 9 episodes in the fifth season (a sure sign that the end is near) and they got and aired all 9 episodes. Afterwards, the series "wasn't renewed." All episodes produced were aired.

Yes... in syndication.

Episodes 10-13 of the season were only aired in the syndication package, since CBS pulled, didn't renew, canceled, whatever, the show after episode 9 of the season.

Anyway, much like this thread, that final half season of Rhoda finally got resurrected, and will be out on DVD in a couple months.

Wiseguy70005

Auditioning
Real Name
Erich
My mistake. I was going by info from epguides.com who usually lists unaired episodes of series (such as Mr. Belvedere). In the case of Rhoda they only list the 9 aired episodes. I checked TV.com and they list all 13 episodes of the last season.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Re: SCTV

What is missing? I have Volumes 1-4 and The Early Years and I thought that was it.

How's Edna?

A whole lot is missing:

Season 1: 26 half-hour shows (entire season)
Season 2: 23 half-hour shows (2 of which are "best of" compilation shows)
(Three episodes from Season 2 are on the "Early Years" set)
Season 3: 14 half-hour shows (one of which is a "Best Of,"another of which largely consists of a redubbed "Cisco Kid" episode)
Season 6: 18 45-minute episodes (entire season)

And not only that, but the original US and Canadian versions of the shows were different in the early seasons. There are at least a couple of (confirmed) skits in the first season which showed up in the US shows but not the Canadian (and hence, not in the chopped up and rescrambled 1980s and later reruns). Do these "lost" skits even exist any more, other than home taped versions? Who knows?

Shout skipped three of the 90-minute shows which were additional "Best Of" comp shows. They aired during the 1981-1982 season. But the thing is -- though they mainly repeated skits already seen in other 90-minute shows which Shout did release, at least one of these three 90-minute era "Best Of" episodes had a lot of skits from the first three seasons which otherwise didn't appear in the NBC 90-minute shows. If Shout had included those, we would have gotten at least a little more of SCTV along with the early material repeated during the first NBC season (some of which was edited for the 90-minute shows).

But I understand why they never finished the series. The last release ("The Best Of The Early Years") only included 15 out of 78 half-hour shows, and even then, there were a few music substitutions and at least one skit was replaced. And that's after skipping the whole first season, most of the second, and half of the third.

But it's too bad.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Wish Shout would finish The Defenders and pick up unfinished 70s and 80s stuff which fits their demo such as Silver Spoons, Fall Guy, One Day At a Time, and BJ/ Lobo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks