1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Shout factory Bob Newhart Show question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by morasp, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 12 Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    I think I received a bootleg copy of The Bob Newhart Show complete series. The discs are 4.2 GB. I emailed Shout and received this response:

Hi Steve,

That does not sound right. All of our releases are on Dual Layered discs so the size would be closer to 7.8GB. If I had to guess, I'd say that was likely a private seller instead of being sold by Amazon and that seller has bootlegged the set. Amazon is more legitimate than Ebay so some bootleggers will sell on both platforms.

Customer Service
    Shout! Factory
    2034 Armacost Ave., 1st Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90025

If someone here has that set could you verify that the discs are dual layer?

Thanks

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I grabbed the S1/S2 case out of the box and randomly selected disc 2. It has a size of 7.65 - dual layer.

Jeff Flugel, morasp and bmasters9 like this.
  3. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    Thanks for checking for me. I'm going to return this set.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    Return your copy to the seller, get reimbursed, then report the seller to Amazon.

Jeff Flugel, Tony Bensley and morasp like this.
  5. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    That happened to me with Star Trek Voyager season 4 from amazon 3rd party; the video was so badly compressed it was pixelated and it was only 4 gigs. Amazon refunded me no problem, but the seller was super rude about it.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    I received a response from the seller

Steve.
    As many as I have sold I never had any complains. I purchase all my items from a reputable wholesaler whose integrity I never had to doubt or question. Nevertheless, your satisfaction is my fist priority therefore i am refunding your whole purchase price immediately.
    Please accept my most deepest and sincere apologies for your disappointment.

It doesn't sound like he wants it returned. I'm not trying to take advantage of the situation, he's just someone trying to make a living and probably will take a loss. What would you guys do?

7. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    Return it.

How do you find this out? Is it marked on the disc?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    If you have a computer with a DVD drive put the disc in the drive, right click it in explorer, and click properties.

Jeff Flugel and MartinP. like this.
  9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    What Steve said...

Depending on your settings the disc size (amount of space free/used) will also show in Windows Explorer without requiring any additional clicking. I believe you can see this on a iMac with a DVD drive if you right click the mounted disc and select "Show disc information" (or something to that effect - don't remember for sure and don't have quick access to one to check).

Jeff Flugel and MartinP. like this.
  10. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yeah, Steve, I agree with Martin - if I were you, I'd return the bootleg set, especially if you're not happy with the quality. The seller must be aware of what they are doing, so I wouldn't feel too sorry for them. It's a bummer you have to go through this hassle.

morasp likes this.
  11. Message #11 of 12 Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    morasp

morasp Second Unit

steve
    You're right of course, in his response he didn't seem to be too worried about the possibility that he was selling bootlegged copies just that no one had complained before. Attitudes like that are partly what's killing this hobby and making it hard for the legitimate companies to make a profit.

I compared an episode from season one on the shout bootlegged copy to the fox flip disc and you could really tell the difference especially in the audio. The bootleg sounded like it was in a cave.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  12. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    Its amazing how many con artists are out there trying to make a buck at our expense.
    I remember seeing a guy on eBay supposedly selling Noel Neill autographs. Neill played Lois lane in the Adventures Of Superman. The problem was he was forging her signature...poorly at that...and spelling her name wrong...what a hack. I told the guy he was a phony, reported him to eBay and his account was terminated shortly after.

Jeff Flugel and greenscreened like this.