What's new

Questions regarding dvd recorders?... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have been looking at the Panasonic dvd recorder. I just have some questions:

1-How is it to use? Is it easy to use?

2-They have been listing at $999.00. When do you think they will go down in price?

3-Also, will the blank discs start getting cheaper?

4-Is their anything new coming out that is better than the Panasonic? And if yes, when?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Brad_V

Second Unit
I thought even the new DVD+RW recorder was about $500. And the DVD-R recorders are $500.

I doubt the +RW discs will be much cheaper anytime soon. The -R discs are about $2.50 each, so pretty good. I record tons of stuff on regular 10-cents-when-on-sale discs in SVCD, and that's good enough for me, but if you want 4.7 megs on each disc, looks like DVD-R is the way to go.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Brad,

Can you explain the differences in the 3 different formats? I think I know. But, I just want make the right choice. I collect tv shows. I want to record them on dvd for 2 reasons. 1-The quality would be better. And 2 because it takes up a lot less space.

Thanks!

I have read on DVD recorders, and just like you wanted one badly. But I read some reviews recently, and put me off.

The deal breaker for me was tat at the moment, the recording quality is not very good, almost VHS quality, and it some, actually worse. Which is a huge bummer for me. I have a stack of Simpsons episodes that I would love to transefere to DVD, but if im getting the same quality, if not worse, why bother?

No big surprise here is that it only records 2 channels, I kinda expected that, but that copupled with the crappy quality, I'll hold off till the future.

Glenn

JamesTR

Auditioning
The Pan. E20 in XP mode, which gives one hour per disc, records in very nearly the quality of the input. I've transferred some laserdiscs to DVD and can see only a slight difference between the copy and the original.

Hi James,
Yes, you are right. The DVD recording quality on the 1-2hr form is pretty good. I wrote thinking all of you knew me. See, I only record TV shows and I always you the ep mode on the VCR (6hr Mode). Given the quality of the "EP" mode on the DVD reocrders, it's not worth it for me. Sorry to have mistated. Actually, if you are interested, buy the latest copy of Sound and Vision magazine, on the cover it says something about DVD recorders. I read the whole article, very informative, which is where I came up with my conclusion. You may actually find that article on their website www.soundandvisionmag.com.
So you see, me being someone who has collection of TV shows on VHS in the ep mode, its not worth it for me to to invest in dvd recorders just yet.The expense of the DVD discs alone to reocrd just an hours worth is just not feasable. \
G.
:b

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i have a bit of a question on DVD recorders or rather the discs themselves .Just purchased the Panasonic. The directions state that NOTHING should be written on the top surface of the disc. i know that most people label CDs with a maker of some sort. i would like to label the discs...can i use something to label them? Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks