What's new

Questions about the General Instruments HDD-201 HDTV Receiver (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I have the opportunity to pick up a HDD201 for $300...is this a good deal? I know not much about HD sat receivers, so any help would be appreciated. I have a 51" Hitachi widescreen with DVI and component inputs as well as a DirecTV HD dish. Another question...is this a DirecTV receiver? If not, will it work with the equipment I've got?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know anything about General Instruments, but I think that Motorola made a HDD model for the big dishes—I don’t expect that it would work for DirecTV

I think that there was also an HDD 201 model for Canadian satellite. I have no clue if it would work for DirecTV or who makes it.

In any case $300 sounds like something that has long been discontinued or was a very early model.

I’d be cautious.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are a number of discontinued DirecTV receivers, none that I know of by General Instruments.

The oldest DirecTV that has not been discontinued is the Hughes E86, although Phillips and Toshiba sold the same thing under their own brand names. The E86b can be found for maybe a bit under $500.

There are some discontinued receivers like the RCA 100 that can be picked up cheaply. I have no direct knowledge as to their merits.

Samsung 160 and Zenith 520 (the Sony 200 is the same thing) can be found for about $600 (maybe less). Both are supposed to be better than the E86 in OTA reception—I have no direct knowledge.

Supposedly Zenith (the LG parent company) is due out with a new model soon. Also there should be an HD Tivo at the end of the year.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I’d be cautious.
Lew,

It actually is from Canada. No worries though...a buddy of mine can get is from a relative, so I'm not worried about it. I'm just trying to get (DirecTV) HD on the cheap! Any ideas on some currently inexpensive HD receivers or some on the horizon in time for football season?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks