What's new

Questions about setup (1 Viewer)

RobertSing

Agent
I got a cheap subwoofer for XMAS ... what "gain" should I set it at? I could tell it would get louder the more I turned it up. Am I looking for a blend with the other speakers?

Another thing ... is there any way to get the middle channel (dialouge) to be louder in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack? When I watch action movies, I'm constantly turning the volume up during "talking" scenes and down during action scenes. I have a Denon AVR1602 receiver. Couldn't find anything in the manual.

Seems like on my old receiver you could set the volume of the middle (or rears) in relationship to the mains.

Any suggestions?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Robert, if you want to reproduce things closer to what was intended then you can invest in a calibration disk such as AVIA, Video Essentials etc and a sound level meter. This will help to balance/level all of your speakers properly. The disks are available in many places that sell DVD's and the meters can be found at Radio Shack.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
And you're definitely looking for a blend with your other speakers.
According to the user manual for that device that I located at denon.com you can in fact change the "Channel Level" of the center channel independently-- check it out on p. 16 in this PDF file.
Me

Steve Charo

Auditioning
i have the same problem as robert. i called my local radio shack and asked them about a sound level meter and they said they have never heard of an external meter. they said that the only sound level meters that they have any knowledge about are the ones found on the reciever itself. can you tell me where to go from here?

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
And, if you still want to support your local RatShack in spite of their droidness, you can walk in an tell them to order you part 33-2050. They really _should_ know what that it; it's part of their required training (I used to work there).

It would, in the long run, help for the local stores to realize there's still a market for HT parts and supplies-- not every person needs a new cell phone...

Me

RobertSing

Agent
Thanks, Tim for the help. If I would have read the manual closer I could have answered my own question.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
robert -
just to touch what others have already told you, having a calibration dvd should help "fine-tune" your system.
some things to consider...
speaker levels
ideally, you want the same amount of sound to come out of each speaker. this way, you'll hear everything the way the director intended you too. you can imagine that the studio the director was in was calibrated right? :)
that's why the spl is important. it will help you analyze the levels of each speaker and allow you to adjust them individually until they're all the same.
however, once you fine tune your gear, if you still feel the need to bump a channel, then by all means go ahead and do it. it's your system and you should be allowed to tailor it to your specific needs.
oh yeah...even if you don't get a calibration dvd or spl, at the very least, make sure you run the receiver's internal test tones and get your speakers as close as you can by ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks