What's new

Question re: sound level meters (1 Viewer)

Dennis H.

Auditioning
I'm looking for a sound level meter and I see that Radio Shack carries both an analog and a digital meter. Is there any great advantage to having the digital over the analog? Seeing that I'll most likely have the thing for 20+ years, I'd pay the extra $20 for the digital if there were any distinct advantages.
------------------
[Edited last by Dennis H. on November 10, 2001 at 08:17 PM]

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Most people here have gone with the analog one. From what I know there is no real need for the digital one,.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The analog one is not only cheaper but also allows an extra function impossible with the digital unit, that of hyperaccurate phase, position, and delay adjustment using the AVIA phase tests. On a digital meter, you can't observe the rapid SPL swings used to detect perfect phasing. On the analog unit you can watch the needle bounce up and down in fast mode.
The analog unit is the one to get. The only reason to obtain the digital is its ability to average readings (handy for sub calibration), but you should be able to do that visually on the analog meter. Save the $20 and get the analog.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I prefer the digital one, it's alot easier to read from a far distance, that way you can mount it on a tri-pod and stand outside the soundfield when applicable, so your body doesn't interfere at all with the reading.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
The analoque one has the db adjustment chart available here for correct readings of the response of the entire frequency range.
------------------
Rich G.

John H

Second Unit
The only reason to obtain the digital is its ability to average readings (handy for sub calibration),...
Yes, I use the digital model for subwoofer calibration for this feature.
I use the analog in main channels setup.
John
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by John H on November 11, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also have the analog model and am very satisfied with it. it's not difficult at all to read the meter. i actually prefer the analog display...
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks