What's new

Question re: Pioneer CLD-99 Brass Side Decoration (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Odd question for you all. I'm installing my gear into a Middle Atlantic equipment rack complete with their custom faceplates. I realized immediately that I had to remove the decorative faux wood sides from the CLD-99 laserdisc player before installation. That leaves a pair of thin brass strips on either side, held on by screws with brass collars. Looking at the cutout on the face plate it is clearly designed for installation without those strips, but I want to make sure that the screws on the side are not holding up anything important internally.

Input much appreciated.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have no clue, but im interested in seeing pics of this rack when your done. Im intrigued by the faceplates. How do they work? Are they custom made for each component or are they universal?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jay, sorry, I can't help. I looked into custom faceplates for my rack for about 15 minutes. I thought they were neat till I saw the price.They are custom made for each component, and very expensive. Universal shelves can be used also but the look is not as clean. However, my rack with rack shelves looks very damn clean as far as I'm concerned. It's all about the trim strips.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Phil's link doesn't work well. Here's a link to a specific product at Parts Express (where I bought all the rack shelves for the Middle Atlantic Rack in my movie room)

[url=http://www.partsexpress.com/images/262-472m.jpg] [/url]

Phil, I'm shocked you didn't link to the ubiquitous Markertek. I just got my trim strips there and my rack looks phenominal. I will post photos here eventually - I'm in a project down there right now.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Phil, thanks for correcting the bad link. Markertek has them too, as does Miletek (and probably ZackElectronics and host of others too). I gave my brother an old Sansui Rack several yrs. back and he bought some of those Middle Atlantic shelves which worked nicely. Middle Atlantic also makes some cool looking media storage for racks (LPs, CDs, DVDs, Cassettes, etc.) When I finished the basement I left opening in the wall to screw them in and framed them with wood trim and I always get comments on how nice it looks.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Phil's right - they're tremendously cool, and ridiculously expensive. What's worse is that you just can't buy the plates. You need to purchase the entire shelf + custom plate which is a complete hose job. Change a component, change the shelf/plate. :frowning: But I've loved the look of the Middle Atlantic installation since I first saw it in Audio Video Interiors years ago and have been determined ever since to have that in my theater.

These are, as Phil indicated, custom plates specific to the individual component. Laser machined they are cut to very tight tolerances. There's a gap that's probably less than a 1/16" around the component. Barely enough to squeeze the cable through for an IR emitter (although you can have a custom notch cut out for this as well I found out after). Middle Atlantic has a search engine for listed components but you can also submit your own specs if you have something unique. Zero return policy, however, as it's custom made so measure correctly.

By the way, I heard back from Kurtis and he confirmed that the brass strips are all that those side screws hold in place. Thanks for the contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks