What's new

Question on Subtitles (1 Viewer)

Mike A

Agent
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but here it goes.
In the last couple of months I've been using mattes for my TV and they are wonderful! Except for movies with Subtitles. Crouching Tiger is a good example of a movie where subtitles are in the letter box area so I can't see them with the mattes on. I've also seen other movies where the subtitles are NOT in the letterbox area, they are within the frame of the image itself. I've noticed on my player that the letter box area subtitles are yellow and the in frame subtitles are white.
Is this a player thing or an encoding thing? Are there players out there that let you control the position of the subtitles? Why are there different color/position for subtitles?
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
being so new to the forum i might not be the one to answer this but i am pretty sure its just the encoding.. some movies i know of that the subtitle itself was in the movie (ex blade) its sometimes on the frame itselft.. but others (ex amistad) aren't taken on the actual frame.. but like i said this is just me talkin here..
------------------
am i qualified for the job.. no.. but i can whoop yo ass!

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I don't understand why you'd feel the need to use mattes on films that are already letterboxed.
[Edited last by DonaldB on August 28, 2001 at 08:48 PM]

Mike A

Agent
Matt,
I'm referring to player generated titles, not burned in subtitles. Like I've stated in my original post. I've seen two different kinds, an example of in frame player generated subtitle is on the Sound of Music DVD.
DonaldB,
Don't knock it till you try it
biggrin.gif
Definately check out the link provided by Greg. Mattes are a great tweak that is cheap and very easy to do. They really enhance my movie viewing pleasure for 2.35 movies.
-------
Getting back on subject... hopefully someone will have an answer for me. Thanks.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's all up to the guys who make the DVD. They can be pretty much any color (though they're typically just white or yellow), and placed anywhere on the screen.

Mike A

Agent
Carl,
Ok, that makes sense that it's controlled by the encoding. Do you know of any players that allow you to move them up and down?
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
DonaldB,
Don't knock it till you try it Definately check out the link provided by Greg. Mattes are a great tweak that is cheap and very easy to do. They really enhance my movie viewing pleasure for 2.35 movies.
I'm not knocking it, it just seemed to be a redundant thing to do. Thanks to the link provided by Greg, I now understand how it can be of benefit on RPTV sets that don't produce really black bars. Fortunately, mattes aren't necessary on my direct-view Wega with its jet black bars. :)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I have a Malata N996 which allows you to move the image up or down (even left or right) while player-generated subs stay stationary, so it's possible to scroll the picture down so the subs appear entirely within the image area, if that's what you want to do. I usually scroll the image upwards so the subtitles appear only in the lower black bar.

Mike A

Agent
Fortunately, mattes aren't necessary on my direct-view Wega with its jet black bars.
Jet Black is not the same as "pitch black" :)
If you have time, read the whole thread on mattes, I know it's a long one but it explains all the benefits even on direct view sets. I don't want this to turn into a debate on mattes so I won't comment on it any further.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Mike A

Agent
DonaldB,
That's good to know about the Malata. I've been considering either the Malata or the Panny RP91 for it's scaling capabilities. I didn't know you could move the image up and down like that, that's a bonus point for Malata.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks