What's new

Question on speaker wire (1 Viewer)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I've done the appropriate searches, found some threads, but I still have a bit of confusion here.

I've seen mention that I can run 12ga speaker wire from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc.

I'm now at the point where I'm going to run speaker wire that will be inside the walls. I plan on putting wall plates/connectors to plug into in place also.

My question is, can I run this 12ga speaker wire for all my speakers? Or did I just plain miss something here? I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks,

Kurt

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Kurt,

You can run 12ga for every speaker, yes. Although many here prefer "boutique" wire types, I find the 12ga Home Depot oxygen free cable to be fine and dandy. I also ahve it running in walls for all channels of my HT (including 2 subs).

If the walls are open- you might want to consider running some "extra" lines, just in case. While my walls were open I actually ran 2 lines to each speaker location, ran lines for 2 subs (and ran an extra line for each) and ran lines for rear center channel (6.1) and additional lines for possible tactile transducers. All in all I ran about 20 lines of wire-- just to make sure I wouldn't have to run wire again!

The only small issue you might want to consider, not directly related to your question- is building codes. Some states have specific regualations on speaker wire that can/cannot legall be run in wall (and some have special conditions about routing location and even have requirements for conduit routing). YOu might want to check into this before proceeding- just in case. If you violate code you could not only be fined-- but might find yourself with refused insurance coverage in the event of a fire!

When it comes to termination and nice speaker binding posts for wall outlets- check PARTS EXPRESS- get a catalog from them. They have some very nice parts available for very fair prices. They have kits to offer nearly any configuration of terminations for wall plates (not just speakers- RCA connections- bnc, f-type connectors, even rgb DB15 like on your PC).

Hope that helps.

Vince

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked the codes and this wire would be within code. The point about running extra wires is a good one. I've just got the walls roughed in now, so they are open. I like to have some future planning done up front.

Although many here prefer "boutique" wire types
Can you explain 'boutique' for me in this context please?

I will check out Parts Express for the catalog.

thanks again,

Kurt

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, complex issue. I have to be careful on what I say, as I don't wish this to lead to another wire debate...
Basically there is practical wire, and then deluxe wire. Many of the people you meet on here will probably use Home Depot wire- no problem. However, some will swear by other wire- often speaker wire that costs $5-6 a foot or more (as oppose to Home Dempot's $.30 a foot).
Again- I think the Depot wire is fine-- but there are some arguements for what is often referred to as "boutique"-- wire that offers small improvement (arguable) for very high prices.
It's like anything else I guess- for every person who says the $4 Wal-mart air filter will work fine for you car, there is always a guy who insists on the $8 high performance version from a parts store, and then another guy who swears by a $40 filter handwoven by german monks.
The Home Depot wire is probably equal to the $8 air filter. There are cheaper solutions that I wouldn't personally recommend- and certainly more expensive solutions that may/may not be worth the price.
Hope you know what I mean.
;)
Vince

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,
Understand you 100% :)
After I pondered my question on 'boutique' I thought I had it figured out.
I will most likely use the HD wire. My hearing just does not seem to pick up the nuances in sound like others do.
Thanks again for the answers to lifes great questions :D
Off I go once again to HD, where they all are getting to know me by name.
~Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks