What's new

Question on DCDI processing (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Where I work, we're running a lot of video from 'questionable sources.'

That is, a given DVD may be cutting from 3:2 film source, 30fps video, 25fps PAL stuff converted to 30fps NTSC, and any of the above may be time distorted: intentionally. Oh, and don't forget the stuff pulled together from non-linear editors where they're generating video from non-video sources (still photographs and the like.)

We recently replaced a couple of projectors with the Christie DS-30 projector, and I just happened to spot the DCDi logo on its box. The players, I should note, are the Pioneer industrial DVD-V7400 players (480i only,) and because of other restrictions, we're connecting the projectors via S-Video.

We're seeing an odd artifact in our subtitles. All of our with-sound programming is either 'open captioned' (subtitles literally burnt into the video frame) or on DVD subtitle tracks. Often times the 'look' of the subtitles change; softening, loosing resolution, sharpening, and doing all sorts of things without, at initial consideration, rhyme or reason.

Might this be a side-effect of the DCDi decoder freaking out at the frame-rate garbage that's being thrown at it? After all, I'm confidant that the producers involved didn't pay any attention to setting field-order or frame flags. Thus, the poor DCDi machine is probably being thrown the absolute worst mish-mash of stuff possible that one can do to a DCDi decoder.

Is that a reasonable assumption, or should I be looking to another cause?

Leo Kerr
[email protected]
(not my work-related e-mail!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks