What's new

question for Rotel RSX965 owners (1 Viewer)

Ken Wilson

Agent
Hi!

I have four year-old Rotel gear, including the RSP980 5.1-ready processor, the RDA980 Dolby Digital Decoder including an RF input for my Dolby Digital laserdiscs, and a Millenium DTS decoder (and the RB985 five channel amp). I'm trying to upgrade my Rotel gear without going crazy, and get rid of a couple of extra components. Unless I dig-up a processor that has an RF/AC3 laserdisc input (they are getting rarer all the time)I'll have to hang-on to the RDA 980 for that capability.

I just found out there's an RSX965 available to me for half-price or better, still new in the box. It has DB25 5.1 inputs and outputs, so I figger I can use the RDA 980 to do my laserdisc decoding, then connect it to the RSX965 through the DB25 5.1 input. Laserdisc (and DVD) DTS decoding can be done by the RSX965. I can use the RSX965 strictly as a processor and the DB25 output to my RB985. (Sound okay so far?)

Anyway, the questions are:

- does the RSX965 have an RF/AC3 input for laserdiscs? The present owner wasn't sure what I was talking about; he never had a laserdisc player. (as I suspect many of the members here haven't!)

- do you have to push a 5.1 button on the RSX965 to pick-up an external 5.1 signal, or does it lock-on automatically? (I've been pushing a 5.1 button on the RSP980 for a few years now.....sigh...)

- does the RSX965 have analogue (RCA)inputs for external 5.1 signals? (like DVD-Audio or SACD)

I'd appreciate that info, plus any other relevant input on my plans. Thanks!

Ken Wilson

Carl R

Grip
No
Yes
No
;)
This is what Rotel's website has to say:
With laserdiscs, the Dolby Digital track is encoded on the right FM anlogue track. This RF output must be converted from radio frequency to a digital bitstream. The RSX 965, as with many current home theatre receivers/processors, does not include an RF input for a laserdisc player. Since this is the only component that requires such a connection, and since only one manufacturer continues to make a laserdisc player, manufacturers prefer to use the limited back panel real estate for digital connections that can be hooked up to more popular components such as DVD, DSS, and eventually HDTV. But fear not, laserdisc fans, you may still use your player with the RSX 965 by adding an outboard RF Demodulator which will easily connect between your laserdisc player and the RSX 965.
You do have to push a button for the external 5.1 signal. However, you can also activate it from the remote so I don't know if it's such a big hassle.
The 5.1 analogue input is only available through the DB25. There are no RCA inputs for this.
Regards,
Carl

Ken Wilson

Agent
Thanks Carl.
The 5.1 input by remote is good news. It would have been nice to have an RF input, but I'll just hang on to my RDA980 and connect through the DB25 in to the RSX965.
Now, all I have to do is figure out how to take advantage of all those extra channels of amplification I'll have!! ;)
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks