What's new

Question for Pronto Users (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I am debating which one to get between the ts1000 and the tsu2000. Is saving money worth it because of the not preprogrammed codes?? can I just download entire remote codes for a component from remotecentral.com?/ If that is the case then I will go with the 1000. If it is more complicated than that then I will just pay the extra 100 bucks and get it preprogrammed. let me know ...Thank You!!
-B

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can just download codes from the appropriate library on Remote Central . I did this with most of my components, and then applied those codes to the interface that I set up.
I think that all the currently available TS1000s are refurbs, though. They should be fine, but something to consider.
I've had my 1000 for more than 2 years now, and it's still going strong. I've just recently noticed the edges of the LCD beginning to darken.
Hopefully, the color version will drop in price in a year or two. I'd like to have that interface, but not for more than $350 or so.
Todd

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Brian,
Yep, as Todd mentioned you can certainly download the codes you need. I believe Philips may have put the codes into the 2000 as a convenience, and also because there was room for them (believe the 2000 has 2 Mb of memory, while the 1000 has 1 Mb).
I also hope the color version comes down in price. I have the 2000 and absolutely love it, except for the fact that no matter how much I try, I can't get the screen contrast to an acceptable level.
There was a thread in the past month or two that also discussed other up-and-coming alternatives to the Pronto that looked pretty interesting. I can't recall the manufacturer (might have been Marantz) that was making a Pronto-like RC that had more hard buttons, including cursors. This may also be an interesting alternative.
Regardless of which model you choose, I hope you're happy with the remote. Like I said, I've been thrilled with the ability to replace all of my remotes and to build in so many macros to control my system.
Regards!
------------------
Link Removed

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
It is also a question of how complicated of a design you want to create. If you plan on using custom buttons and bmp files then you might want to look at the TSU2000. I had a TSU1000 but upgraded to the 2000 as I got into more complicated designs. You really cannot go wrong with whichever you choose.
Thx......Shawn
icon14.gif

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Question: Will the TS-1000 or the TS-2000 be a good choice of Pronto for Me?
Answer: Yes. (either one) The memory constraint on the TS-1000 isn't really that bad. I've 18 complete remotes loaded into it and an entire set of GUI panels in my TS-1000. Even with all that there is still 18% free space. Now if you are planning to enter the names of every CD you have in your CD changer, then I'd go after more memory. At the current $129 for a refurb TS-1000 at JandR, there isn't much down side to either choice. BTW, they also have the charger base for a steal.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I agree with those above. Unless you are going to get really elaborate and have lots of components, or you want to include a database of CDs or DVDs for a jukebox-style changer, the 1MB is more than adequate. If you want the extra memory just in case go for the 2MB, but you likely will not need it. So far as the preprogrammed codes are concerned I've always felt it a waste of memory. Why do I want codes for hundreds of components I don't have? It is a very easy process to teach the Pronto the desired codes, or grab them from Remote Central.
Either way I'm sure you will be overjoyed with your purchase. I couldn't live without mine. My updated CCF is now posted here at Remote Central if anybody is interested.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Guy, I just checked JandR's site, the Pronto shows for $149.99 and the charger for $39.99. Where did you get the $129.00 price?
Roger

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I have the 1000 and I'm happy with it. Initially I programmed my CCF with custom graphics and buttons and so forth, but ripped it all out and went with the built-in buttons which are larger and simpler. All the codes you need are easily downloadable from remotecentral or by learning them from your existing remotes. By the way, you don't need the recharger base. Regular AA batteries last for a long time in the Pronto. Whichever model you get, I think you'll find just as I have that buying a Pronto is one of the best purchases you can make.

John Tuttle

Agent
I agree with everyone on here about the TSU1000 vs TSU2000. I have had my 1000 for two years now and I am very pleased with it. I do not have a ton of graphics on mine, but I do not use any of the basic buttons it came with. I still have about 35% memory free, IIRC. Like others said, when the color model comes down into the $400 range I will be picking one up and retiring the 1000 to the bedroom.
No one has mentioned how much abuse the TSU remotes can take. I kicked mine across the kitchen one day and it hit the base board pretty hard. Plus there are constant drops from my daughter onto the table or carpert from over 3'. No problems so far, but one 1/8" scratch on the screen.
Buy either one, you will love it.
PS My CCF is on my site for my remote.
------------------
Jay
My Ricemobile and Home Theater

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
They have the $129 price on their flyer. If you call and say you saw it on their flyer you can get the price lower than the web listing. I picked up two units at the web price as I knew JandR had some Sept damage and didn't wish to "pick" on them. Your call, either way it's a great price.
The reason I like having a charger base is two fold. I never have to worry about the battery and more importantly the Pronto has a standard position in which it rests. Less Pronto hunting is a positive in a dark room. BTW, yes it survives a fair amount of abuse, but stepping on it is a definite no no. My wife was aghast when she put her heel on ours and crushed the screen. Fortunately, it only took a little work to replace the screen with a spare ($49).
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the guys above the 1000 has plenty of memory for everything I've ever programmed for my clients. I also much rather program in my own codes from RC then the built in database but to a novice I can see the built in codes use...that said the real power of the pronto comes from customized user interfaces so adding codes at that point really isn't a big deal. Basically the more you put into your CCF the more you'll get out of the remote.
------------------

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
Well, the pronto will be at my house this afernoon. Thanks for the help! I ordered the 1000 at jandr for 129. I also have my entire config. set up because I downladed the edit program and have been tinkering with it since i placed the order. So now I will get it put in batteries and then download the ccf. Thakns again for all your help.
-B

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
I’m glad to hear that you went with the Pronto. That’s such a great price for the Remote that you got. I remember paying around $320 about a year and a half ago and that was considered a good price back then. It was definitely worth it to start programming your file ahead of time. It will allow you to enjoy all the benefits of the Pronto as soon as it arrives.
biggrin.gif
Good luck with it and if you have any question, please feel free to e-mail me.
------------------
~Andrew~
~Pronto Programmer~
AIM SN: FFU Productions
ICQ #: 21603991
Home Theater Pictures
Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony 12 device lcd remote. I really don't like it. The display is pretty much set. I have read that the Pronto's lcd can be completely customized. Is this true? and is the only difference between ts1000 and ts2000 is the extra meg of memory and more presets? Also, how easy is it to download and set up? Thanks for all your help.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Todd the true stenght of the pronto is that everything you see on the LCD screen short of a few common buttons are items that you have total control over. You have total control over what the buttons look like and what functions you wish them to do. If you want to see what a pronto CCF can look like without installing the pronto edit software try playing with my online emulator thats on my website (see link below)
There aren't many difference between the 1 and 2 meg pronto's short of a extra memory and a couple of lesser functions. The new 2 meg version does have a built in database but to be honest its just as easy to get the codes from www.remotecentral.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks