Question for Britsh members of HTF concering Citizenship

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_W, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

My mother was born in England in 1947 and has lived in Canada since 1957. She never got her Canadian citizeship, despite the fact that her mother did. I was just wondering if anyone knew the rules pertaining to getting a citzenship, for myself, as a Canadian born son, of a British citizen. Do you know if it is possible? I have no plans to live in Britain, but I thought if it is possible to get a dual citizenship, especially given the ease of travel it would grant within the European Common Market, than why not. Is there a website I can go to? Do you think this is something best handled through the Canadian or British goverment. Thanks

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I understood that you would automatically be dual nationality...
    There is a cut-off year in the 80's somewhere (I fear you were born after it) where you are not (it seems) automatically qualified for a passport. I know because I just got my first one the other week.
    Best bet is hunt through the gov.uk top level domain for something. I'm sure there's a site out there but I not don't have any of the bumpf that came with my passport.
    GRRRR!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

4. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys.