What's new

Question For Both DVD-A And SACD Fans (1 Viewer)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious as to how many of you have found yourself listening to music that you never would have considered if not for it's move to your adopted hi-rez format.

As for myself, I grew up in the 60's and went through the California Beach era, the Beatles and the British invasion and of course the Monterrey Pop Festival and Altamont and beyond. My favorite artists tend to be from 1964-1980 and lean to classic pop/rock. I also went through the "quad era" and explains my love of surround music. This is what led me to dvd-a as the type of music I favor most has been more prevalent there. I've since found some great stuff on sacd as well.

In the past few months however, I've found myself listening to alternative rock, classical and other music styles that in the past held absolutely no interest at all. I now find myself wondering if I missed a lot of great music growing up or is it because of the advent of hi-rez, that I'm enjoying so many different music styles.

Any thoughts?

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Yes, I have bought several discs that I probably wouldn't have bought on cd, including several classical discs, mainly because there isn't much of a selection yet. I really do like dvd-a and am amazed by the experience. I will draw the line on Barry Manilow however.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have bought several discs since getting into high-resolution formats that I might never have bought on CD. For me, it started with DADs. A couple of years ago, I bought some Chesky DADs that I probably would never have owned on CD. An example is Rebecca Pidgeon Four Marys. Likewise, I have expanded my listening choices since getting into SACD. In addition to buying more jazz, I have bought SACDs by Rebecca Pidgeon, Keb' Mo', The Isley Brothers, The O'Jays, Celine Dion, and many other artists of whom I had no CDs prior. I can honestly say that I do not just listen to these discs because they sound good. I truly enjoy the music. SACD has particularly expanded my horizons. Most of my DVD-Audio discs are of mainstream artists that I already enjoyed on CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks