What's new

Question about the Mission Impossible Blu-ray set (1 Viewer)

Gordiac

Agent
Real Name
Gordon
I've watched the complete series DVD several times, and "upgraded" to the Blu-Ray set.

I'm a few minutes into the first episode, and I see no difference quality-wise so far even though the reviews praised this one. I remember the DVDs were very decent-looking to begin with, but I expected even more.

Can anyone state any differently? is the difference more noticeable in the later episodes?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My take, the Blu-ray's are based on the same HD masters as the DVDs. CBS/Paramount does an exceptional job on their HD masters, which is why their DVDs tends to look so good. Therefore, the differences in this case are going to be limited to the additional detail provided within the higher resolution of the Blu-ray's. If you don't see much difference, it is likely due to your sitting distance related to your screen size making the improved details less obvious.

Many times, when seeing a greater difference between DVDs and Blu-rays it is because they come from different sources. A DVD may be based on an older SD or HD master or older video prints that had no additional restoration work performed, while the Blu-ray is based on a brand-new transfer and remastering effort. Thus, providing more than just a resolution upgrade.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I've watched the complete series DVD several times, and "upgraded" to the Blu-Ray set.

I'm a few minutes into the first episode, and I see no difference quality-wise so far even though the reviews praised this one. I remember the DVDs were very decent-looking to begin with, but I expected even more.

Can anyone state any differently? is the difference more noticeable in the later episodes?
is this a Mill Creek release?

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
FWIW I have both the DVD set (in the “oil can bomb” package with individual tins, includes the 1980s remake series, which the BR set does not) and the BR set. I agree that the DVD set sports a very nice picture. In fact, I was a bit hesitant to spring for the BR set just because of that. But I really like MI, so…

I have a Sony UBP-X700 which feeds a Vizio 70” TV with Dolby Vision. (I also have my old Oppo BDP-83 for 'problem' DVDs that upscales to 1080p...) The X700 is OK at upscaling IF the DVDs are really good, and the MI DVDs are really good. I did a comparo between the 2nd season 1st episode on DVD and on BR. To my eyes, the DVD image (upscaled to 4K) looked pretty damn good. However, the BR does introduce sharper detail – you can now read the license plate on Jim Phelps’ Mercury, and the weave/pattern on his suit looks a lot more detailed. The upgrade is subtle but it’s noticeable. IMO on a big screen detail really brings the picture to life.

My take – if you like the series, it’s worth it to get the BR set. If you have the “oil can bomb” package like I do, it’s not a simple upgrade since that set has the 80’s remake series which the BR set doesn’t. I will say that I am less than thrilled with the BR packaging, as the discs tend to fall out of the individual season sleeves. But that’s a minor quibble. You just have to be careful with it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have a Sony UBP-X700 which feeds a Vizio 70” TV with Dolby Vision. (I also have my old Oppo BDP-83 for 'problem' DVDs that upscales to 1080p...) The X700 is OK at upscaling IF the DVDs are really good, and the MI DVDs are really good. I did a comparo between the 2nd season 1st episode on DVD and on BR. To my eyes, the DVD image (upscaled to 4K) looked pretty damn good. However, the BR does introduce sharper detail – you can now read the license plate on Jim Phelps’ Mercury, and the weave/pattern on his suit looks a lot more detailed. The upgrade is subtle but it’s noticeable. IMO on a big screen detail really brings the picture to life.
Yes, and that is all that can really be expected when moving straight from a DVD to a Blu-ray when the exact same HD source is used for both. When you see more, it is typically because a new transfer was made and/or additional restoration work was done.
My take – if you like the series, it’s worth it to get the BR set. If you have the “oil can bomb” package like I do, it’s not a simple upgrade since that set has the 80’s remake series which the BR set doesn’t. I will say that I am less than thrilled with the BR packaging, as the discs tend to fall out of the individual season sleeves. But that’s a minor quibble. You just have to be careful with it.
Yes, the packaging is bad. I immediately purchased replacement Viva Elite 7-disk Blu-ray cases for the disks and came up with new covers that match the essence of the Blu-ray foldouts it came with.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
All I can say is that there is more detail in the Blu-rays over the DVD, which is all that can be expected in this case with the resolution bump as the primary difference between the releases.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
FWIW I have both the DVD set (in the “oil can bomb” package with individual tins, includes the 1980s remake series, which the BR set does not) and the BR set. I agree that the DVD set sports a very nice picture. In fact, I was a bit hesitant to spring for the BR set just because of that. But I really like MI, so…
I have the UK version of the "oil can bomb" set (which, instead of a mock bomb, is just a box with "dynamite" artwork containing the discs in individual season cases made to look like pocket sized reel-to-reel tape players) with only the orig. series seasons+ bonus disc (which includes one episode of the '88 series), and I have the U.S. Blu ray set.. Since this DVD set (not counting bonus disc) and the Bluray set contain the same number of discs, w/ no on-disc content difference save for the upgraded A/V on the Blus, I put the Blu-rays in the much sturdier DVD set..

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've been buying CBS/Paramount TV series DVDs recently because the picture quality is so good. I am quite happy with my Untouchables, Fugitive, Invaders and original Star Trek sets. I believe there is a thread discussing these discs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've been buying CBS/Paramount TV series DVDs recently because the picture quality is so good. I am quite happy with my Untouchables, Fugitive, Invaders and original Star Trek sets. I believe there is a thread discussing these discs.

I am the same way about The Untouchables and The Streets of San Francisco.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks