What's new

Question about seperates (1 Viewer)

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about going into seperates. Which way would be better.

I have a Harman Kardon 65 (kinda old I know) should I:

Purchase a amp and run this as a pre-pro until I can afford a dedicated one.

Or buy a good quality Pre-Pro line a Outlaw or Rotel and run it as a amp.

I can only afford one or the other for now.

Thanks

Ted

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Depends.

Do you still like the sound of the 65 but would like to get even more out of it? If so, an amp would be a nice upgrade.

Do you plan to expand past 5.1 DD, DTS anytime soon? Also, does the 65 have Main Ins to be used with external processors? If it doesn't then your plan b looks like a no go.

You could also simply upgrade to another receiver but I feel long term you would be much better off building a system of separates as you can afford it. So, if you go for option a, don't skimp...put the $ towards an excellent quality amp.

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Thats is kind of what I figured. If I was looking at getting a good amp. Even a 3 channel for running the front 3 channels I would imagine it would make a big diffrence.

What would you recomend. I can swing around 1200-1500 for a 3 channel amp.

Thanks

Ted

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I added a Rotel RMB-1066 to my yamaha receiver. I have it bridged into 3 channels with 150 wpc. I have been really happy with this combo. I still use my receiver for powering my rears. Retail on this amp is 700 so it is well within your budget. I was dead set on replacing my yamaha with the rsp-1066, but have since started considering the rsx-1055 instead because of its abilities to power the rear channels and price point. Jason

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
That is right along what I am thinking. Get a good 3 channel amp right now. Then buy a Rotel rsx-1055 in a few months and drive the rears from the redirected fronts until I can afford another amp.

Thanks

ted

Yogi

Screenwriter
If you can go used there are plenty of choices you can get for that amount. Heck you can even get five channel ones for that amount. Here are some kick a** five channel amps used within your range
1) B&K 7250 (200W x 5) ~ $1300
2) Rotel 1095 (200 x 5) ~ $1300
3) Parasound 2205 (220W x 5) ~ $1300
4) Anthem MCA5 (200 x 5) ~ $1000
5) Marantz 9000 (150 x 5) ~ $900
6) Outlaw 750 (200 x 5) ~ $1100 (new)
7) ATI 1505 (150 x 5) ~ $ 1200

Three front channel amp would also be a good choice at this point as most of the sound stays in those three channels. You could go Classe, Proceed, Bryston etc (used of course). which are a step above the five channel amps mentioned above.

No matter what amp you choose from the above list you would be very happy with the new level of sound you will experience.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Just as an aside, the Rotel RSX 1055 should be within your price range and has a pre has nearly the same (not my opinion, just what I read) performance as the RSP 1066 as well as giving you 75 (conservatively rated) per channel all channels driven.
there was a topic thread that talked about this right on the board:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=94935
good luck
Rich

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I second what yogi said.. with that money you could buy a damn good 5 channel amp and be done with it.. just replace the H/K when you get the cash!

Craig

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Thats is what I will do. I'll go look for a good quality 3 or 5 channel amp and upgrade the HK when I have the money. ;)
Thanks
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks