What's new

Question about PE-250 and Shiva sono (1 Viewer)

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished my ported Shiva sonosube and I'm powering it with a PE 250 plate amp. I noticed something that may or may not be a problem with the amp. When I turn my receiver off and the amp isn't receiving a signal, I'm getting a slight hum from the sub. When I reach under and touch the driver it is reverberating slightly as if it's still receiving some input from the amp despite the amp not receiving a signal from the reciever (I even unplug the RCA input).

Do I have a defective amp? It should be wired properly. + to + and - to - at the woofer inputs. Pos and neg inputs from amp to appropriate woofer inputs.

Also the amp never seems to hibernate after I turn the receiver off. Isn't the power light supposed to go slightly dimmer when I power the receiver off?

Thanks,
Frank

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I can hear my sub hum the same way you can, PE250 to an SVS-based DIY. It bothers me that I can hear it, but that's only when there are no other noises in the room. My driver does not move all - can't feel it, anyway. I guess if the driver is making the noise, technically it's moving, but I can't FEEL it.

Cheap amp, I guess we live with it's shortcomings.

As for the light, green is on, red is standby/off - no intensity changes, just color. I leave mine on standby all the time.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Colin,
Thanks for the info. The thing is, mine stays green even when I switch my receiver off. This is with the switch on standby. Maybe my amp is defective? Should it go right to red when the receiver/source is turned off?

Thanks,
Frank

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
hmm. I haven't noticed a humming from my PE250/titanic mkii combo... maybe because it's down-firing to carpet?

I believe the amp goes into red standby mode when there is no signal... but I'm not sure because I am using a computer sound card which does not completely mute the output signal at all times.:frowning:

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
At first I thought the humming was the amp itself until I physically reach under the tube and touched the downfiring Shiva and felt it resonating. I'm starting to think bad amp now.

Frank

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Adire AVA-250. It also makes a fair amount of noise. I try to keep the gain (volume control) at about 10 o'clock or less. The higher the gain is set, the noise increases substantially. I had an old reciever amp connected before and there was no noise. I think I may consider going to a good mono block amp for the sub eventually. The budget sub plate amps just don't seem to have much quality.

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
My volume is at 12 o' clock... I hear no noise from 1 foot nor any vibrations from the woofer. :)

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. I also find that if I adjust the phase knob from 0 towards 180 the hum goes down.

Frank

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I have CS SVS with the PE 250W and I don't hear any hum at all. do you have the switch to auto not on position? might wanna check that out.. mines turns red when there is no signal going through the amp. also try a cheater plug for the amp. I heard way back that the ground makes it uhm sometimes.. hoep that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks