What's new

Question about hookups for TV, DVD & Receiver (1 Viewer)

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this is probably a stupid question that I *think* I know the answer to, but I want to confirm it with you professionals ;) Okay, I recently bought a Kenwood Receiver and am thinking about upgrading my TV to include progressive scan so that I can use that feature with my DVD player that has the feature also. Now my question is, on my receiver, it only has imput/outputs for as high as S-cable for video, so in order to hook my DVD player up to the new TV I would have to plug the Progressive scan video from the DVD player straight to the TV but the audio to the receiver.. Will this work? I assume it would, but before I go out and spend a buttload of money, I want to make sure I can use the TV, DVD player & receiver all correctly.. Thanks in advance!
-Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you're right on the money. :emoji_thumbsup:
since your receiver cannot pass component cables, you'll have to run the cables from your dvd player directly to your tv. the audio will go from the dvd player to the audio input on your kenwood.

Jerry Wright

Agent
That's the recommended way to do it Jason for best signal quality. S-Video DVD > S-Video TV. Since you have no composite outs on your DVD this is the next best connection.

OOps, Was typing while Ted was posting the same answer

Whoa, another edit. Was thinking component but typed composite. Need a little more coffee.

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks you guys! I was wondering if I could do that since both the audio & video wouldn't be going through the same pathway... So, if I hook up the Progressive scan through the tv, set the tv for that mode (ie: A/V 3) and turn on the receiver to dvd/cd, I should get the video through the TV & the audio through the receiver (it's times like these when I'm glad I don't have the really high end equipment, seeing as though I don't have a Masters in electronics ;) ). Then I am probably going to get the TV... Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks