What's new

Question about HDTV Satellite (1 Viewer)

Ben Hass

Auditioning
I have a Mits WS-55859 with the built in HD tuner. I currently have digital cable from AT&T, but in the very near future I plan on switching to satellite. I have a couple of questions:

1. What provider do you recommend going with?

2. What kind of HDTV satellite receiver should I get? I would like a pretty good quality one.

3. Besides the HD satellite receiver and the eliptical dish, what else would I need for this set up so that I can get the HD satellite programming as well as over the air HD programming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I have Dishnetwork and have been very happy with the picture quality. Current HD offerings include CBS-HD, Showtime-HD (1 channel), HBO-HD (1 channel),Discovery Channel HD-Theater, and 1 PPV-HD channel. This spring HDNet, and ESPN-HD are supposed to be on the dish. my local stations are also available on dishnetwork. I'll never go back to cable!!

As for receivers, really depends on what you are after. I use a #6000 with an 8VSB module to allow me to receive local OTA broadcasts. I plan on switching over to the new 921 HD-PVR later this year. This PVR/Receiver willrecord 1 HD program while you watch a different program, and will be equiped with all the latest bells and whistles. Go to www.dbstalk.com and do a search for "921 PVR."

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
3. Besides the HD satellite receiver and the eliptical dish, what else would I need for this set up so that I can get the HD satellite programming as well as over the air HD programming?
If you go with Dish you will have to install two dishes on your house. A 20" dish pointed at satellites parked at 110 and 119. You will also need an 18" dish pointed at 148 (west coast) or 61.5 (east coast) or in certain situations both. If you pick the 148 sat you will lose the HD Demo channel which is only carried on 61.5. With DirecTV you will need a triple LNB eliptical dish pointed at 101, 110 and 119. For OTA programming you will need a good antenna (not Terk). Go to Antennaweb to find out if you need UHF or UHF/VHF. If you go with Dish you will need the optional 8VSB module installed in the 6000 receiver to pick up OTA. All DirecTV models come ready to decode OTA signals.

-Robert

Ben Hass

Auditioning
Thanks for all the input Robert, it's greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that I currently have a ReplayTV 5080, so I'm probably looking for a receiver without a built in PVR. Out of the DirectTV receivers withoout PVR is one brand or model better or have more advantages over the other ones. Thanks for all the help.

Ben

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless you are using the networking functions of your Replay, sell it. The integrated satellite/PVR models have a much better picture quality since you record the bit stream directly. You can also record Dolby Digital (when it is being broadcast). As for other other D* receiver, I couldn't tell you which ones are better. I hate watching live TV. The only reason I own a non-PVR receiver is because it decodes HD. The HD DirecTivo in on the Christmas list for this year.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks