Question about HDTV Satellite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Hass, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Ben Hass

Ben Hass Auditioning

I have a Mits WS-55859 with the built in HD tuner. I currently have digital cable from AT&T, but in the very near future I plan on switching to satellite. I have a couple of questions:

1. What provider do you recommend going with?

2. What kind of HDTV satellite receiver should I get? I would like a pretty good quality one.

3. Besides the HD satellite receiver and the eliptical dish, what else would I need for this set up so that I can get the HD satellite programming as well as over the air HD programming?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I have Dishnetwork and have been very happy with the picture quality. Current HD offerings include CBS-HD, Showtime-HD (1 channel), HBO-HD (1 channel),Discovery Channel HD-Theater, and 1 PPV-HD channel. This spring HDNet, and ESPN-HD are supposed to be on the dish. my local stations are also available on dishnetwork. I'll never go back to cable!!

As for receivers, really depends on what you are after. I use a #6000 with an 8VSB module to allow me to receive local OTA broadcasts. I plan on switching over to the new 921 HD-PVR later this year. This PVR/Receiver willrecord 1 HD program while you watch a different program, and will be equiped with all the latest bells and whistles. Go to www.dbstalk.com and do a search for "921 PVR."

3. Ben Hass

Ben Hass Auditioning

Cool. Thanks for the input, I'll check it out.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. Ben Hass

Ben Hass Auditioning

Thanks for all the input Robert, it's greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that I currently have a ReplayTV 5080, so I'm probably looking for a receiver without a built in PVR. Out of the DirectTV receivers withoout PVR is one brand or model better or have more advantages over the other ones. Thanks for all the help.

Ben

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Unless you are using the networking functions of your Replay, sell it. The integrated satellite/PVR models have a much better picture quality since you record the bit stream directly. You can also record Dolby Digital (when it is being broadcast). As for other other D* receiver, I couldn't tell you which ones are better. I hate watching live TV. The only reason I own a non-PVR receiver is because it decodes HD. The HD DirecTivo in on the Christmas list for this year.

-Robert

7. Ben Hass

Ben Hass Auditioning

thanks...i'll check out the DirecTivo, it sounds pretty cool.

Ben