What's new

Question about hdmi and progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Chris*S

Auditioning
I just bought a new hdtv and I'm going to have to purchase a new dvd player that has progressive scan. My question is, if I use an hdmi cable to connect the hdtv to the dvd player, will I get the progressive scan capability out of the dvd player like I would with a component cable?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Presumably. You might even be able to get an upsampling player-- various licensing agreements prevent dvd player manufacturers from incorporating unencrypted 1080i outputs (i.e component outs) However, DVI-HDCP and HDMI both incorporate encryption, and thus 1080i outputs are legally unencumbered.

Now, you might ask "What's the use of upsampling"-- a dvd is 480p at the most...". But a HDTV display will tend to upsample the 480 signal in the course of normal operation. The DVD player, however may have access to extra information that may make its upsampling filter more accurate than the display's.

Chris*S

Auditioning
Thanks.

I've read in a lot of different places that the hdmi cable is better used for video by itself and a seperate cable should be used for audio even though the hdmi cable can do both and can handle 5.1 as well.

Any suggestions?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Well, if an HDMI cable connects DVD and display, how's the receiver/pre-pro going to get the necessary information? Even if you do have some method of connecting to both display and receiver/pre-pro, dvd-audio and sacd are incompatible with all but the latest version of hdmi.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Well, I assume that you would just use a normal audio coax cable to transmit the DD
or DTS sound to the receiver for decoding. The HD-DVD player would detect that you have
a dedicated audio cable sending the sound out of the player (or you would manually select
the coax as the cable that would be carrying the sound from a menu of choices on your HD-DVD player),
and the HDMI connection would be used just to send the video directly to the t.v. That
would work perfectly, no need to use the HDMI cable for sound at all. The only thing you'll
need the HDMI cable for is to connect your HD-DVD player and your t.v. And even that's
a waste of time, I'd rather just use a good component video cable.

Chris*S

Auditioning
Yeah I've read that some people can notice a difference when using the hdmi cable and some can't. I guess I just need to use both and see for myself. My main concern was whether or not I would be utilizing the progressive scan capability on the dvd player if I used the hdmi cable.

Thanks guys.

my dvd player's hdmi output, has three different setting it will output. 480p/520p, 720p, and 1080i so my guess is that hdmi, will do both progessive and interlace scan. Also hdmi from what i have been reading also upconverts, dvd signal to a HD sinal, for the HDTV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks