What's new

Question about DVI (1 Viewer)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Is using DVI output similar to using an optical cable, as in the dvd player doesn't process the audio information, just reads it off the disc and sends it to the preamp or receiver for processing? By using DVI output, does the dvd player only get the video information off the disc and send it to the projector or tv for processing?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but wouldn't it then make sense to purchase a relatively inexpensive dvd player that has DVI output if you have a higher end projector or tv?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Basically DVI transmits the video to the display in a digital form. When you use S-video or component outs, the video signal is converted from digital to analog and is then sent to the dispay device. With DVI, the video signal stays in digital form. The display device then does what it needs to do.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I understand that it transmits the information digitally, but by doing this does it skip processing by the dvd player or no?

greg_t

Screenwriter
What do you mean by processing? The player will still convert to 480p, or upscale to 720p or 1080i if it is a scaling player. In dvd players, all "processing" is done when the signal is digital. If sending it to the display via component, it is converted to Analog before sent out. Using DVI out simply keeps the signal digital to the TV. All the normal MPEG decoding, progressive scan conversion is still done as it always was. It's just now sent to the TV in digital form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks