What's new

Question about Defective DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I'm wondering if there's any way a manufacturer/studio will replace a defective DVD? I had just opened the 'Bob Newhart Show 1st season' which I purchased 2 years ago and one of the DVD is scuffed and unplayable. Obviously it's too late to return it to the store. With everyone buying DVDs and not getting around to watch them right away, I can see this being a common problem. I'm wondering if certain studios have customer service departments that will allow you to return a defective disc and get a replacement. I know that Brentwood/BCI is pretty good about doing it, but what about 20th century Fox? Thanks.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd like to know this too with the number of DVDs that I have had fail over time while sitting in storage.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

All depends on where he bought it. BB has become absolutely horrible with this. They want to see if its on one of your credit cards. If you say you pay with cash, they want to look it up by your phone number. If you claim it as a gift, they want to look it up by someone else's phone number.

It used to be very simple...swipe your license and BAM done. Now...forget about it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
or you could wait until after Christmas and return it..they don't ask for receipts until January...oops, did I just say that!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Could we have less fraudulent ways of returning defective discs? Preferably customer service info for the studios?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to offend you but it's not like he bought it used on eBay and is trying to return it to a store. While it's against store policy, he bought it there and if he waited twenty years to open and found out it was a messed up copy and I think he still should be able to return it.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I did get it at Best Buy and I may have the receipt. I'll try and return it if I do, but those corporate stores are so anal when it comes to their return policy. If I had bought it at an independent store I probably wouldn't have a problem returning it. I think the studios should allow one to replace a defective disc especially since Best Buy has practically monopolized the DVD buying market. Brentwood/BCI is really good about it, I don't see why FOX or Sony shouldn't do the same.

I think what's going to happen is I'll have to fork out a few more dollars to get a used copy off ebay to replace the defective disc. I'll just have to start viewing what I buy before the expiration date on the receipt.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Jon, it's a shame about your situation, but in recent years I've always examined discs, and with anything rumoured problematic (Universal's DVD18s, anyone?) I scan through the disc while I'm checking my email or something. Play it on the fastest ffwd your player has, and glance occasionally. It sucks to have to do this, but it works, and at least you know if it works or is faulty in a timely manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks