What's new

Question about Bi-wiring Speakers (1 Viewer)

Kenny_M

Auditioning
I just purchased two Polk RTi8 towers to be used as front speakers. The description for these speakers mention that they have 5-way binding post terminals. I realize that bi-amping is running two seperate amps into each speaker (one to power the low end, and one to power the high end). Though, I am only using one amp, so my only option would be to "bi-wire". Now, I am not totally sure that I know what this is. Does it mean running two wires from each '+' and '-' terminal; one going to the low end (woofers) set on the speaker and the other going to the high end (tweeter)? Is this very advantageous over conventional wiring (only using one set of +/- terminals on the speaker)? My guess is that I would be powering the tweeter seperate from the woofers, thus not utilizing the speaker's crossover, but I still do not know why, if at all, this may be better than a traditional hook-up. My receiver is a Sony 100X5 DD ( if that matters). If anyone can recommend how they think I should proceed with the hook-up of these speakers, I'd appreciate some help. Also, all information regarding advantages and disadvantages of this type of connection would be great.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator

Correct.

However, it isn't your only option and is questionable as to whether or not it sounds any different. The terminals on your speakers will have gold jumpers connecting the top and bottom terminals, if so then you only have to run 1 set of wires to the speaker, the jumper handles the connection of both terminals. If you bi-wire or bi-amp you must remove these. I have RTi70's, and don't have them bi-wired yet, I might try it to find out for myself. If anything it might make me feel better to utilize something the speaker offers... and quiet any thoughts that I am not getting the best sound out of them! ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kenny,

Bi-wiring simply means connecting two separate speaker wires from the same amp to both the input terminals on the speakers.

No. The internal crossover is not bypassed. You simply get direct access points to the high pass and low pass filters.

As far as an “advantage,” some people believe bi-wiring makes the speakers sounds better, some don’t agree. It’s best for you to try it yourself and draw your own conclusion.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kenny_M

Auditioning
Thanks for your responses guys...After researching Bi-wiring a bit more, I've discovered that most people's experience suggests little to no difference in sound. Though, it is also a function of the speaker design, as well. Since my Polk RTi8s are designed to handle Bi-wiring, I just might give it a try. One more question though. I found out that I am able to utilize the two front speaker sets, A & B, by running run one set of speaker wire from front speaker set A to the low input on the speaker, and another set of speaker wire from front speaker set B to the high input on the speaker as long as I have the speaker selector on the front of the receiver set to A&B. This will be beneficial as I will be able to have both sets of speaker wire independantly terminated at the amp. What I am not sure about is if, in doing this, I will be disabling the rear channels of the receiver. I thought I read or heard this somewhere... Is that a correct statement? Or, am I able to run speakers out of both sets (A&B) as well as rear surround speakers? Any information is appreciated...
Thanks again !

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Kenny M:

I'm very curious to hear what you try and of your findings. I currently have my Infinity IL50s bi-wired (out of my Denon 3803). I've only tried them that way (not jumpered).

Once/if you use the B channel, let me know how and if it works and what you think. Did it disable the rears?

Appreciate the insight.

Mark

TroyV

Grip
Hi.

Most of the time, you can't get surround modes with A & B on, so in effect, it will disable DD or DTS.

I have a question about the ends on the cables when bi-wiring. Both my speakers (Fluance SM-938) and my receiver have 5 way binding posts. I was told to use banana clips. I understand how both sets will plug into the speaker, but how do two banana clips connect to one binding post?

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I would say passive bi-amping gives about as much as bi-wiring. There are many advantages to active bi-amping, but you need to remove the internal crossover network in your speakers to do this (there are speakers that are meant to be bi-amped or tri-amped, all my pro gear is tri-amped.).

Also bi-wiring off both A+B does nothing, these are paralleled, thus it is the same as wiring both wires from A.

Some banana plugs allow you to piggy back them, the other way is to wire the two wires into one plug on the amp end.

TroyV

Grip
Great.

Thanks.

I do have a bid in for these....think they are good?

gig.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3707029456&category=23783&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

figure why do so many connections when duals will be quicker.

TroyV

Grip
http : // cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3707029456&category=23783&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

sorry...that is the correct link

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks