What's new

Question 1- Subwoofer Crossover (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have just purchased an Onkyo HTS-760. I am having a really good time with it. There are so many questions, I will try to keep my posts to one question each. I have an old Radio Shack DVD cleaner. It is a DVD with some very small brushes (which I don't ever plan on using) and some audio and video tests. One of which is the subwoffer crossover frequency test. When I run this test, the subwoffer engages (turns on) at the appropriate time, but the front speakers do not disengage (off). Is that what is supposed to happen? If so, when do the other speakers stop trying to play the low frequency sound? I have it set for 80Hz right now. Which suits me just fine, but I change it for different movies and moods. I would like to avoid driving my front speakers inappropriately. Thanks.

If this question is in the wrong place, or has been addressed before please let me know. I did run a search, but didn't come up with anything on this subject.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

If you set the crossover to 80Hz, then that's where the speakers stop playing sound and the subwoofer starts. The test tones you are using probably go above 80Hz which is why you still hear sounds from your front seakers... How do you have the sub set up? Through a sub pre-out on the receiver or are you running your front speakers through the subwoofer?

Plus the crossover freq is an estimate... it's not a sudden switch, but more of a gradual one. I always keep my crossever setting at the same freq, and I recommend you do as well. Once your system is properly calibrated (with that SPL meter you're getting) you really don't need to mess around with any of the settings.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I would say it is the test tones that you are using off the disc. I would guess that it doesn’t have an LFE track on it.

You might want to pick up one of the DVD HT calibration disks.

The speakers will roll off starting at 80 at a rate (##dB/octave) depending on the type of crossover. First order = 6 dB / octave, Second order = 12 dB / octave, Third order = 18 dB / octave, and Fourth order = 24 dB / octave.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks