What's new

Quality of Kino's The Blue Angel?? (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Just got done watching Josef Von Sternberg's The Blue Angel, (taped if off TCM Imports last night). I really enjoyed this film and would love to have it on dvd - but the picture was extremely grainy with a lot of dropouts, which I realize is common for a film from this era. Is Kino's version restored, or would it look like the transfer on TCM last night?
And while I am at it, any suggestions for other Marlena Dietrich - Josef Von Sternberg films?? Thanks to anyone who answers this, I always get good information from this forum - Regards, Jim.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Is Kino's version restored, or would it look like the transfer on TCM last night?
I can't say for sure, but I was very impressed with the DVD considering the films age.

Yes it is "grainy" but likely no more so than when the film was brand new.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Criretuin's SCARLET EMPRESS is a terrific DVD. It's my favorite of their films.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
That would be Criterion's The Scarlet Empress, which is indeed excellent, though I don't think it's as good as The Blue Angel. The DVD is better though, Empress's extras are directed towards Von Sternberg, while those of Angel primarily concern Marlene Dietrich.

Angel is restored, but still damaged. It's not going to look like a Lowry scrub job, but still well worth your time for such a fantastic movie.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Kino's disc is pretty darn fantastic. It boasts both the English and German versions, and while I prefer the acting/editing/etc. of the German version, I think the English version looks just slightly better. The darks aren't as deep, but there's more shadow detail and overall sharpness.

Fortunately, both versions are well worth watching. Very nice extras on this one, too. While not as gorgeous as Criterion's transfer for "The Scarlet Empress", I'd say "The Blue Angel" is still the overall better disc (as well as the better film).

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the input - I am definitely picking this one up. It's been two days since I have watched it and it's still rattling around in my head. I know the big deal about this film is Dietrich teaming up with Sternberg, but IMHO the best thing about this film is Emil Jannings performance, he completely blew me away. Shows how easy and how step by step one can sink into total degradation over an obsession.
Bob thanks for the recommendation for The Scarlett Empress, I own several Criterions and this one somehow slipped under the radar. Regards, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks