What's new

Q re amp wiring kits (1 Viewer)

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I was looking through the Crutchfield catalog and noticed that they mention you need an amp wiring kit for the Alpine HUs 9833 and 9835.

However, when looking at the manual for these units online (same for both), I cannot find any mention of an amp wiring kit at all. So do you really need one if you are just replacing your HU with one of these Alpine units?

Thanks,

-Christian

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I believe they are suggesting that you'll need beefier power wires from your battery to the HU (due to the power draw by the HU's internal amps). I have my (large) Alpine HU installed w/o using a wiring kit (a wiring fuse is included with the HU) but I am not using the internal amps. Here are your options (from worst to best):

- Just add the HU. If the HU draws more current than the existing stock wire can handle then you will have a vehicle fire (wiring harness will turn into a toaster oven coil).
- Add the HU but add a fuse (sized for the stock wiring and on the battery side). If the HU draws too much current then the fuse will blow. This might occur every time you start the unit (power draw is heavy during power-on).
- Add the HU with a HU wiring kit (10 gauge + fuse). Place the fuse as close as possible to the battery. This will fix any power problem with your HU. Also, avoiding the stock wiring harness may help resolve any noise/hum issues.
- If you plan on adding external amps down the road then consider wiring up a distribution block, large cable & fuse. (aka do it right the first time). You will also want to upgrade the 'big 3' power wires (neg batt-car body, neg batt-engine block, & pos batt-alt). Pushing wire through the headliner is not always a fun experience and you'll only want to do it once!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Thanks Greg, I appreciate the info. However, shouldn't they mention something along the lines of recommending an amp power kit somewhere in the manuals?

OTOH, maybe I'm just blind and have overlooked it... ;)

I think I'll try to find a cheap 10 gauge wiring kit when I'm going to install one of these.

-Christian

StephenHa

Second Unit
the only reason to add the amp wiring kit is if you add outboard amps, crutchfield likes add on sales

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
you dont need to buy a whole wiring kit for a headunit, a long enough wire and a fuse will be all you need for running a new power wire for the headunit. like someone else said, the only thing you need a whole wiring kit for is if you're running an amp(s)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The recommended 'kit' is a fuse, fuse holder, and length of 10 gauge wire. There are cheaper places to buy than Crutchfield...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks