What's new

Purchasing a television & cold feet.... (1 Viewer)

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
It’s amazing how much more you learn about HT technology when you are in the market to make an upgrade or a large purchase. I’ve been holding out on the purchase of a new television to ensure I would have a 1080p input. To be honest, I’m relatively torn at this point between one of the new Sony SXRD XBR models due out this year (most likely 60”) or the Samsung 5679. I would really like to see the Samsung for myself before I decide. I suppose I should give HP’s MD5880 a shot too, but I’ve never been an HP fan to be honest. Anyway, I am certain that which ever set I go with, it’s going to take a huge chunk out of my wallet. For a while I was worried that if I bought a new television, then a newer model would come out that would put my set to shame and will feel like I had wasted my money. However, it’s become clear through the words of so many members, that eventually one just has to bite the bullet because that’s the progressive nature of technology.

Now, as proud as I am to have narrowed down my selection to two units (fine…three for Mr. Fowkes), the discussion of SED is still getting the best of me and making me hesitant. I’m in the market for a television that will keep me satisfied for at least 5 years and knowing that these will be out in 07’ and be heavily marketed in 08’ concerns me. Does anyone have any idea what the starting price range will be for a SED when they finally become available? I’d like to think that by the time they become readily available at a reasonable cost, it will be 2011…just in time for me to upgrade. =) How have others justified their purchasing the "latest and greatest" knowing that it would be such a short time before it becomes yesterday's news? Should I just wait it out even longer for a price drop? Should I wait for SED? Perhaps I should got with a cheaper unit for now to hold me over? I suppose these are questions that only i can decide, but I know i can't be the only person faced with this type of dillema around here.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Johnal IMO you will just drive yourself stir crazy if you continue down your current path.......if your go far enough you may even need professional help!!! Nuther time nuther thread!!;)

I have gone thru the same thing.....I have just decided to purchase the best that current technology has to offer at the present time and that is within my budget (once my basement is done of course). If you buy now then you can ENJOY NOW. There will always be the next bigger, better, cheaper, thing around the corner and if you keep waiting that "carrot" will always be hanging in front of you. Bite the bullet buy the best TV your budget will allow and enjoy your new TV. Besides you don't worry that your car will be surpassed by next years model or that new tool you bought to do your latest home projects will somehow not do its job when the newer model comes......Stop Worrying and start enjoying:D

Just my .02

Rick

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think you'll be waiting quite awhile for SED, given the delays. It will have a bit of an uphill battle when it does hit the market, needing to be competitively priced with plasmas but being a new technology. Plus the announced delays already...

If I had my heart set on 1080p I would want a set that can actually take a 1080p signal - and that one option at this time is the HP.

If you're ready to buy now, I would also recommend getting what the current state offers rather than waiting for the next big thing (which could ultimately be vaporware).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
So far all the mfgs have announced 1080p input over hdmi on upcoming 1080i sets, many of which will appear on the market within the next few months. No need to jump on that buggy HP set unless you absolutely can't wait.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I recall 2 years ago in the same boat, and back then the question for me was HDMI or DVI or just component. I chose HDMI and compared all the models and made the purchase at that time. I was also torn between getting the older model immediately or waiting a few months for the new one. I waited and got the newer model with better specs. Now I love the t.v. and don't worry about the fact that the t.v. does not do 1080p, there is no way I would upgrade at this point and even with the new stuff out HD-DVD and Blu-Ray coming in June, I think I'll be satisfied. Anyway don't go crazy over it, will prove to be a great benefit and even if they come out with some super slim version of the model you buy, what the heck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks