What's new

PT-47WX42 Aspect Ratio Issue. (1 Viewer)

Adrian Finol

Auditioning
Hello everybody,

We just got this TV about 2 weeks ago, and only yesterday I watched my first non anamorphic DVD (Goodfellas).

I noticed that everything was squished in the normal viewing mode (FULL), so I had to switch to Zoom mode so it looked right.

Now according to the manual, this is standard procedure. Is this correct?, do I have to be fiddling with the aspect button every time I'm going to watch a movie?.

Also, when using the normal viewing mode for anamorphic movies, I can see some sort of warping in the middle and sides of the screen. The manual says that FULL mode stretches the picture, and that that mode is supposed to use for anamorphic inputs. My problem is that I see some sort of warping going on (it didn't happen on letter boxed/ZOOM mode) when using this mode, it's really distracting and it looks weird, specially on panning shots, where you can see everything warping while the camera pans across the whole view.

So, my issues are, Is this correct?, is this how you're supposed to watch anamorphic movies?. And for the Zoom issue, I just paid a lot of money for this TV and it can't do it automatically?. Is there even a TV that does this, or does everybody have to go to their remote's aspect button when watching different types of DVDs?.

Thanks for any response.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, this is the state of things right now. No TV does automatic switching because there's no standard to indicate the aspect ratio to the TV. There's ID-1 detection for s-video, but nothing for component video connections.

For the future, this is something that is supposed to be addressed with the upcoming HDMI digital interface.

Mind you, every piece of A/V gear was supposed to have Firewire ports on it by now too!

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Are you watchign in FULL or JUST? Full does a even strech where JUST streches the image more on the sides.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The warping effect would be caused by poor geometry. The only way to fix this properly is to get a geometry overlay and do a full service-level geometry/convergence.
The service convergence screen has a bunch of vertical and horizontal lines and the overlay will show you where the lines are supposed to be. It's a simple matter of moving the lines to where they should be - only it's not THAT simple.
If you want to tackle this yourself, I've made a file for the overlay and it's available for download at:
Link Removed
Look for a print shop in your area that has a large format plotter and have the file printed on drafting vellum. You can find information pertaining to service menu access and working with the service convergence system at http://www.panny.tv
If this is too intimidating for you, you can try placing a warranty service call, but I'm not sure how a technician would handle this.

Adrian Finol

Auditioning
Allan, the PT-47 doesn't support JUST mode on 480p inputs. So I'm just watching it on FULL, just like the manual says. Also, the manual says FULL (streching) it's the recommended mode for anamorphic pictures.

JohnnyG: thanks a lot for the help. I might just order the overlay from your site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks