What's new

PSO - XBox Live: Blown out of proportion? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Which DOES include the fact that a company has to run it's own additional servers to accomodate a game. If that company doesn't make money and loses money, what do you want, them to give away the farm?
I don't care who is running the servers, I still don't want to pay my ISP to pay Microsoft to pay Sega. I look at it from a total cost standpoint: $25 per month to my ISP for broadband, $4.17 to MS per month for Live ($50/12 months which will likely increase), then $9 to Sega per month for the game = $38.17 per month, in addition to the cost of the game. I know that it can be argued about the "sunk cost" of the ISP and Live already being paid for, but the additional monthly fee is the straw that breaks the camels back.

I know that many of you are enjoying the game and I have no problem with that, my concern is that this trend will continue and we'll be paying for every Live game. If this is successful, why would UbiSoft not charge to run their own servers for an extra profit with the next Ghost Recon? Most of us play anywhere from 2-5 games concurrently. If only 2 of those are on Live, that's at least $18 per month at the current rate. I just hope this doesn't spiral out of control making Live an exclusive pay twice to play service.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There is a article in this months GMR where there is a short interview with one of the head guys behind live. They talk about a entire wave of new live and x-box features coming in games later this year. He also said pretty much all the games scheduled between now and 2005 do not have plans at all for extra fees. So everyones fears probably wont happen.

I wont even say you pay for broadband already for your comp :). Ok maybe I did. But the thing i have to say is

You only pay $25 for broadband? Geez i wish :)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
You only pay $25 for broadband? Geez i wish
It's a pretty sweet deal. Our local utility started the program in November. I live in Owensboro, Kentucky, a town of about 60,000 in the Western part of the state. There's about 8 towers around town and they provide the wireless connection. It was a $50 installation fee that included the modem, antenna, Cat-5 cable and all other parts. Then, it's only $25 a month forever--it's in the contract with our city that rates can't be raised, no taxes, fees or anything else attached. It's not the fastest connection in the world, but for $25, I'll take it any day.

See, there are some advantages to living in Kentucky aside from beautiful horses and fast women...err, uh...reverse that.;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
GMR is a gaming magazine which is affiliated with Electronic Botique. Its a pretty good magazaine and dosnt pull any punches with reviews

capt

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Like i mentioned before. It has been said that most of the games between now and 2005 wont incure extra fees. The games that will are the Massive Multiplayer RPG's. Just like has been done on the PC. Nothing new really.

capt

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
It has been said that most of the games between now and 2005 wont incure extra fees.
I've heard the same thing, too, Joey, but MechAssault downloadable content was supposed to be available in January and completed by now. I put VERY little faith in anything that MS says, especially concerning a struggling aspect of their business. The XBox is putting along and anything they can do to increase profitability is fair game.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Everything else in this word never arrives on time including game releases so why should live be any different? :)

capt

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
As a recent subscriber to live, I just want to give the heads up to guys purchasing a starter kit say, in july. The current starter kit requires you to activiate by june 30, 2003.

Basically, very few retailers out there even seem to be aware of this. I'm sure that a number of retailers are not going to be ordering in the xbox volulme 2 kits as a result of not having cleared out existing stock.

I think one of the big reasons that you're seeing xbox live volume 2 is to extend the subscription date deadline. At any rate, after june 30th, make sure you don't get stuck with an old kit.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I participate on a message board for meaningful discussion about my hobby, not to argue.
This isn't an argument with raised voices or fists, it is a discussion. By arguement, I mean a topic that we don't see eye to eye on, not literally yelling at each other. Quite frankly, "arguement" posts are my favorite--I enjoy these the most.:D

Now, if we could only get politics involved...

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
while you guys are arguing im up to level 36 and my mag is around 60 now :)

As for GR and 3-4 people in a game. Ive learned on live if you have a good Internet connection you can host huge games. Many of you remember i was able to host a full game of GR a few times plus had a few people watching the game as well. Also something i realized lately. I had a plain linksys router since live came out. I had no problems with connecting to people at all. I then bought a combo router with wireless. For some reason this router interfered. So i made the cable to x-box DMZ. Worked wonders. Others may have that problem and not even know it. They might night even have a bad cable signal

capt

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Would we rather pay more, or have online gaming dissapear?
Yup, I agree there, too. Maybe not disappear, but at least not reach it's full potential. I am confident that our free market system will find the best solution in the end, but it may take a while to get there.

As for me, if we do pay more, then online gaming will sadly probably disappear for me, at least until I make my first million.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks