What's new

PSO - XBox Live: Blown out of proportion? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
One thing I repeatedly read and hear is that people who talk about PSO seem to complain that an XBox Live subscription and a monthly fee is required to play Phantasy Star Online. While I can understand being a little disappointed, for the life of me I can't figure out why these things come as such a surprise to some.

I was just wondering...in a "more mature" internet environment like the HTF (at least compared to some other boards), is there really a huge band of people who want to play this game but are *stunned* that you'd need a subscription to XBox Live? Is there anyone around here that thinks that $9 a month (after 2 free months) is too much to spend?

In my best "Paul Baldwin" voice: "Discuss."

Oh, I hope to see you online sometime next week. My character is a Hunter named "Beavis". So far, I've levelled up to Lv 7 offline, and still want to gain a little more XP. I played PSO on DC way back in the day with a Ranger named RockMeister. I've never played Episode 2 though. Can't wait to get into some new territory.

How long do you think it would take to reach level 100+?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Is there anyone around here that thinks that $9 a month (after 2 free months) is too much to spend?
Absolutely... after my 2 free months, there is no way in hell I am going to pay $9 per month! This baby is getting passed to my friend, and then to his friend and so on and so forth. Damn the man! ;)

There's no reason for the subscription fee when this is on Microsoft's servers.....

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
PSO has always had a fee so it dosnt bother me at all. If im playing it as much as I am now i will be there after 2 months

capt

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, the game hasn't impressed me enough at the moment to justify a monthly charge of more than, say, $5. I'm enjoying it, but unless it gets much better as I level up, I can't say that I'll continue much past my two-month trial.

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
is there really a huge band of people who want to play this game but are *stunned* that you'd need a subscription to XBox Live?
That XBL is required for playing *offline*, yes, I think many people are stunned.

As for reaching level 100, it depends upon how much assistance you get from friends and what character you are using, but 80hrs is a decent benchmark.

-Dave

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
That XBL is required for playing *offline*, yes, I think many people are stunned.
I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but why would someone buy a game called Phantasy Star Online if they didn't intend to play it online?

Being someone who knew all about the game before purchasing, and someone who has XBox Live, I just don't see a problem. Oh, well.

80 hours for Lv 100? Hmmm. Jeez, then Lv 200 must be like 300 hours. Whew. Maybe I'll be forking over more Nine Dollars's than I originally thought. Or, I'll get bored and just quit early like I did with the DC version. (Of course that was mostly because I couldn't continue to use NetZero with my DC.)

Dave F

Effects Supervisor
Why would they include an offline component if it wasn't intended to be played offline as well? Why would they include a 4 player offline mode?

Level 200 will take much more than 300 hours. The amount of points required for each level rises exponentially.

-Dave

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I think it's ridiculous to subscribe to Live and then have more subscription fees piled on top of that one. I don't like RPGs so it doesn't bother me to never play this game, but I still think the double fees are too much. I have a feeling this will just start a trend where more and more games carry additional fees.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think if a reporter were to ask MS and Sega directly, they'd get 2 different answers on the fees.

Mesmells some major infighting (also indicated by the 3 months of delay)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I just can't wrap my head around the need to already have XBL in order to play the game offline. If I can't practice the game, I won't buy it. Is PSO considered a "system" (i.e. XBL) seller? Evercrack for PS2 was supposed to be one for Sony online, but it's now price-slashed down to $19.99. I bought the Everquest-Network Adapter bundle, but returned the game. I wouldn't imagine Xboxers to be rabid RPGers, and PSO didn't even sell very well on the better-demographic GameCube, did it?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I just can't wrap my head around the need to already have XBL in order to play the game offline.
That's down to bad decision making & sloppy design.

Background infO: PSOv2 on the Dreamcast required a unique key to run it - each copy had an individual CD-Key in the case.

On the XBox, instead of repeating this system (which had annoyed a lot of people - s/h copies were near worthless, unscrupulous retailers ripped off keys etc), they decided to code the game to use the XBL unique gamertag/account details as the "unique key". So the game is completely reliant on the XBL account for security - you can't have offline only chars, so you need an XBL account to create a char.

Of course, as has been mentioned before, there's a lot of FUD going on about this title so who knows whether any of that is actually true...

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
The fee never bothered me - I have XBL already and heard about the fee quite a while ago. Really, two less fast food trips a month - no big deal. I'll pay until I get bored with it.

As for the extra fees, MS made it pretty clear from the start that some games would require it. Some I will pay for, some I won't.

Current PSO character: Croaker (Ramar)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
What if more new games required a fee in addition to the LIVE fee? I don't think so!

First, I pay a hefty fee to get ON the internet at high speeds. Fine, no problem. Then I pay an EXTRA fee to get onto Xbox LIVE. Ok, I'll do it, even though I get online gaming for free (except for example below) on my PC. Now, in addition to paying retail price for a game, I must pay an additional, monthly fee? So to play this game online for one year on an Xbox LIVE, you would pay over $150. Now 5 new games come out that require me to pay an online fee. Suddenly gaming has gone from expensive to just fucking outrageous. No thanks!

I use to pay $9 a month to play Warbirds (WWII flight sim) on my PC. And that was only for the 5 hours a month. I realized it was COMPLETE waste (after months of not playing, but still paying), and could get IL-2 for under $50 and play online for free.

Mike D.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
People have had broadband to use with there computers. I dont think anyone who has live just got broadband for it and not normal computer usage.

I pay for broadband for my computer, I pay to buy a online RPG, and then you pay the fee. Same thing as a the computer. Which the fee for the comp games is more then the xbox games so far.

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtAD