PSO - XBox Live: Blown out of proportion?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Rock, Apr 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

One thing I repeatedly read and hear is that people who talk about PSO seem to complain that an XBox Live subscription and a monthly fee is required to play Phantasy Star Online. While I can understand being a little disappointed, for the life of me I can't figure out why these things come as such a surprise to some.

I was just wondering...in a "more mature" internet environment like the HTF (at least compared to some other boards), is there really a huge band of people who want to play this game but are *stunned* that you'd need a subscription to XBox Live? Is there anyone around here that thinks that $9 a month (after 2 free months) is too much to spend?

In my best "Paul Baldwin" voice: "Discuss."

Oh, I hope to see you online sometime next week. My character is a Hunter named "Beavis". So far, I've levelled up to Lv 7 offline, and still want to gain a little more XP. I played PSO on DC way back in the day with a Ranger named RockMeister. I've never played Episode 2 though. Can't wait to get into some new territory.

How long do you think it would take to reach level 100+?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

PSO has always had a fee so it dosnt bother me at all. If im playing it as much as I am now i will be there after 2 months

capt

4. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Yep, the game hasn't impressed me enough at the moment to justify a monthly charge of more than, say, $5. I'm enjoying it, but unless it gets much better as I level up, I can't say that I'll continue much past my two-month trial.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

6. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Why would they include an offline component if it wasn't intended to be played offline as well? Why would they include a 4 player offline mode?

Level 200 will take much more than 300 hours. The amount of points required for each level rises exponentially.

-Dave

8. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Great.... how about an option for no-new downloads and free service [​IMG]

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I meant the version 2 always did :)

Also guys i did a review for PSo and also posted some tips for newbies over at the group play web site. Www.digitalcrusase.com

capt

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I think it's ridiculous to subscribe to Live and then have more subscription fees piled on top of that one. I don't like RPGs so it doesn't bother me to never play this game, but I still think the double fees are too much. I have a feeling this will just start a trend where more and more games carry additional fees.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think if a reporter were to ask MS and Sega directly, they'd get 2 different answers on the fees.

Mesmells some major infighting (also indicated by the 3 months of delay)

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yup, Jeff.

16. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I just can't wrap my head around the need to already have XBL in order to play the game offline. If I can't practice the game, I won't buy it. Is PSO considered a "system" (i.e. XBL) seller? Evercrack for PS2 was supposed to be one for Sony online, but it's now price-slashed down to $19.99. I bought the Everquest-Network Adapter bundle, but returned the game. I wouldn't imagine Xboxers to be rabid RPGers, and PSO didn't even sell very well on the better-demographic GameCube, did it?

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

The fee never bothered me - I have XBL already and heard about the fee quite a while ago. Really, two less fast food trips a month - no big deal. I'll pay until I get bored with it.

As for the extra fees, MS made it pretty clear from the start that some games would require it. Some I will pay for, some I won't.

Current PSO character: Croaker (Ramar)

19. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

What if more new games required a fee in addition to the LIVE fee? I don't think so!

First, I pay a hefty fee to get ON the internet at high speeds. Fine, no problem. Then I pay an EXTRA fee to get onto Xbox LIVE. Ok, I'll do it, even though I get online gaming for free (except for example below) on my PC. Now, in addition to paying retail price for a game, I must pay an additional, monthly fee? So to play this game online for one year on an Xbox LIVE, you would pay over $150. Now 5 new games come out that require me to pay an online fee. Suddenly gaming has gone from expensive to just fucking outrageous. No thanks!

I use to pay $9 a month to play Warbirds (WWII flight sim) on my PC. And that was only for the 5 hours a month. I realized it was COMPLETE waste (after months of not playing, but still paying), and could get IL-2 for under $50 and play online for free.

Mike D.

20. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

People have had broadband to use with there computers. I dont think anyone who has live just got broadband for it and not normal computer usage.

I pay for broadband for my computer, I pay to buy a online RPG, and then you pay the fee. Same thing as a the computer. Which the fee for the comp games is more then the xbox games so far.

capt