1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

PSB Speakers- 6 Ohms w/ 8 Ohms receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_Sch, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Brent_Sch

Brent_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty new to all this HT stuff and have heard it's best to go with 8 Ohms speakers for HT. I have been hearing good things about PSB and was wondering is it problem that they're 6 Ohms and not 8 ohms? I would be pairing them with a Kenwood VR505 reciever.
    The speakers that I'm interested in from PSB are the Alpha A/V and possibly the Minis for surrounds if not A/V all around. Can someone tell me how they peform and how you like them. I hear they are comapreable to Polk. I would like to hear how they compare to Polk because Polk speakers are easier for me to get and might be the other route I consider.
    The room my speakers will go in is small, it's about 12x12.
    Thanks for your insight! [​IMG]

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

As far as the ohms are concerned, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on the heat - REALLY cheap amps in a receiver will get hot / not tolerate low ohm speakers.

Be careful if you listen to loud music for long periods. HT will be fine.

3. Brent_Sch

I plan on using whatever speakers I get for about 50/50 music and HT. Would it be a problem if I want to do this with the PSB 6 Ohms speakers?

What exactly would you consider a "long periods" of time? I will often pop in a music CD and let it play through. Would that be too rough on those speakers and the amp in my receiver?

Thaks for your input!

4. Brent_Sch

Anymore input on this? Anybody? [​IMG]

5. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I wouldn't worry about the 6 ohms, Brent. I use the Alpha A/Vs for my surround speakers and am very happy with them. I'm not familiar with the Polks though.

KrisM

6. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I have a hard time imagining that any decent quality receiver will ever have trouble with 6 ohm speakers.

As for the PSB's, they're nice, but my impression is that they're discontinued. PSB has a new line of Alphas, and on paper they look to be significantly improved from the old ones.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    No problem. I have been running with 6 ohm PSB speakers with an 8 ohm receiver for years. Heat is not a problem with my 2 receivers I have had.

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Count me in Platinum Audio 6ohms into two 8 ohms receivers. Nothing wrong here.