What's new

PSB Speakers- 6 Ohms w/ 8 Ohms receiver? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty new to all this HT stuff and have heard it's best to go with 8 Ohms speakers for HT. I have been hearing good things about PSB and was wondering is it problem that they're 6 Ohms and not 8 ohms? I would be pairing them with a Kenwood VR505 reciever.
The speakers that I'm interested in from PSB are the Alpha A/V and possibly the Minis for surrounds if not A/V all around. Can someone tell me how they peform and how you like them. I hear they are comapreable to Polk. I would like to hear how they compare to Polk because Polk speakers are easier for me to get and might be the other route I consider.
The room my speakers will go in is small, it's about 12x12.
Thanks for your insight! :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
As far as the ohms are concerned, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on the heat - REALLY cheap amps in a receiver will get hot / not tolerate low ohm speakers.

Be careful if you listen to loud music for long periods. HT will be fine.

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on using whatever speakers I get for about 50/50 music and HT. Would it be a problem if I want to do this with the PSB 6 Ohms speakers?

What exactly would you consider a "long periods" of time? I will often pop in a music CD and let it play through. Would that be too rough on those speakers and the amp in my receiver?

Thaks for your input!

KrisM

Second Unit
I wouldn't worry about the 6 ohms, Brent. I use the Alpha A/Vs for my surround speakers and am very happy with them. I'm not familiar with the Polks though.

KrisM

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I have a hard time imagining that any decent quality receiver will ever have trouble with 6 ohm speakers.

As for the PSB's, they're nice, but my impression is that they're discontinued. PSB has a new line of Alphas, and on paper they look to be significantly improved from the old ones.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
No problem. I have been running with 6 ohm PSB speakers with an 8 ohm receiver for years. Heat is not a problem with my 2 receivers I have had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks