What's new

PSB Image speakers (1 Viewer)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I went to my local PSB dealer yesterday about some speakers. I told the salesperson that my budget is $1000. He demoed the PSB Image speakers with Star Wars I DVD.
He used 4 1B's, 8C Center, and the Alpha Subzero subwoofer. On the dvd, he used the pod race scenes, and I was blown away. I could not believe these speakers are not that expensive.
The salesman told me he could lower the speakers from $299 to $279 each. I am planning to buy these speakers at different pay periods. Should I get a better subwoofer? The Subzero sub has to have drilled holes on the feet to be secured, but I rent an apartment, and I cannot do that. I am thinking of getting an SVS sub for little more money.
Can someone recommend a better sub that is not too expensive?
Perrin

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Don't know about the subwoofer. If you get too powerful a sub your apartment neighbors might not be too happy.
Many users are happy with the Sony SA-WM40 (on sale at Best Buy for $150 until the 10th of November). This might tide you over until you get your system completed, and you can always sell it on Ebay :)
As far as the PSB Images, have you looked at Yawaonline?
They have fantastic prices on PSB (the Image 1B's are $195 a pair B stock). They also have many other models...
http://www.yawaonline.com/psbimser1bbs.html
Robert

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Perrin,
Also since your close to the border you might want to check what the prices of the PSB's are up here in Vancouver since PSB's are Canadian made speakers.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you are in Seattle WA, then you should search for the closest 2 or 3 PSB stores in Canada and visit them. Hopefully that is possible, as I have no idea how many stores in the nearest Canadian city in BC and Alberta carry PSB. Either way, call and check prices to get a rough idea. If you go there and speak to the sales people and haggle, you can get some really good prices. I think the market has been down a tad over the last year and most places will budge to keep sales going. Just guessing using prices I paid in CAD as a comparison (converted to USD) you could easily get a pair of 1B's or an 8C center for about $200.00 USD for each. 2B's or a 9C center each for $250.00 US as an example of what I paid. 6T's for $580.00 US a pair? Pretty good prices for the PSB's I must say. 4T's are $699.00 CAD so that's $436.00 USD. There you go. Start looking. I love my PSB's :)

I bought a set of Image speakers recently (4T, 8C, 1B), and I went with the Alpha Subsonic 5. For the size room I have (12 x 14) it's plenty, and it sounds great. If I recall, their website says the Subsonic 6, which is part of the Image line, is for a very large room. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Sub 5 if you choose it.
-Jason

Chip E

Screenwriter
Perrin,
All i'll say is i run PSB Stratus Silveri mains, C6i center, and Image 10S surround's with an SVS 20-39PC...... Nirvana my friend.. :)
- Chip
------------------

Peter_ S

Auditioning
You can also check out A&B Sound 604 439-0223. They have stores all over Vancouver; they also have a web site; don't know if they ship speakers.

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I cannot afford to buy them until my next payday. I am thinking of buying them local since it would be a lot easier in case they break or something.
I do have another question. I have the Denon 2802 receiver, and I read that this receiver can only do 8 ohms and 6 ohms. I noticed that the PSB speakers are at 6 ohms. Some people recommend a receiver that can go as low as 4 ohms. Would my receiver be ok with these speakers? I think they would be, and the power would go from 90W per speaker to 135W per speaker.
I was also thinking of getting the 1B's for fronts and rears, 8C for center, and the Alpha Subwoofer for now. As soon as I can save some more money, I would like to get the bigger speakers for the fronts such 4B, and use the 1Bs for rear centers. But, I think that would be overkill since my livingroom is not that big.
I believe I will be happy with this setup for now. I cannot wait to get them.
Perrin

David Head

Second Unit
Perrin,
The 2802 will sound great with the PSBs. You shouldn't have any power issues, especially in a small room. I'm using a pair of 1Bs for surrounds and an 8C with a pair of 3LRs for mains. I love them! I think your plan to upgrade to the 4Ts in the future is a great way to go. Let us know how you like them when you do get them.
Andrew,
Tim Procuniar, aka "Timmy" (a member here), has a setup close to what you're considering with 6Ts instead of 7Ts:
Link Removed
Link Removed
David

Dan A

Agent
David, in your picture it doesn't look like you are using the 3LRs as mains--or do you have a second system with the smaller set-up?

David Head

Second Unit
Dan,
In my picture? If you are referring to the link I posted, that is not my home theater. I don't have any pictures of mine right now. I'm moving soon and will be purchasing a Toshiba 57H81. I'll take some picture after that...
David

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Perrin, all I have to say is PSB's rock! I have the 6T'S, Stratus Silver C-5, 10 S surround and a Subsonic 3. I have been using PSB'S for years and will not buy anything else. Best bang for the buck speaker you can buy! Thank you Paul Barton for giving us a reference quality speaker that us common folk can afford!
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks