What's new

PS2's Aggressive Inline - Better than THPS3? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Jeezo, this is one heck of a fun game. Took me completely by surprise. Sort of a cross between THPS3 and (believe it or not) Jet Grind Radio.
Aggressive Inline, the new 'extreme sports' inline skating title from Z-Axis and Acclaim, is one of those titles I would ordinarily scoff at looking at the cover. There is way to much 'attitude' and flash on the box; it's really hard to make inline skating seem as exciting as skateboarding.
Inline skaters are to skateboarders what Viola players are to Violin players. They're just not taken seriously. That's not to say they have a point, but can a fun game be crafted from inline skating?
First off, the comparisons with THPS3 (and THPS2, to some extent) are merited. This game lifts a lot of ideas, but in Aggressive Inline, there is no standard 2:00 time limit. That means you can skate as long as you keep your gradually degrading 'juice meter' up by doing tricks. There is a set of goals at the start of each world, and other goals you open up by talking to random residents in each world. There are also timed challenges (get 60,000 points in one minute, for instance).
The worlds are HUGE. Massive. A couple times as large as the average THPS3 level. Grinding is the soul of the game, but you can also do vert tricks (complete with tweak), flips, spins, vaults (huge vaulted jumps over objects and ramps), manuals, 'revert'-esque cede slides. You can even swing around horizonal and vertical poles, and 'skitch' (grab onto the back of a car, bus, roachmobile, 4X4, etc -- did I mention there are a ton of cars driving around in this game?). There is so much interaction with the environment and so many opportunity for massive linked tricks. As long as you are performing tricks, you can keep playing. The absense of the requisite time limit makes such a huge difference.
Each huge world also has locked doors that lead to secret areas... the keys have to be found in other worlds.
The first world is a massive outdoor Los Angeles thoroughfare, complete with intersections, palm trees, hot dog stands, and the tollbooth/entrance to a huge movie studio. Inside there is a haunted house movie in production, and the massive interior has bluescreen hanging all over the place, the facade of a haunted house (you need a key to get in though), a graveyard, bridges, a canyon, tons and tons of ramps. As you can see, this game is about exploration, but I have really started stringing my tricks together and the revert/manual linkage from THPS3 is present here, done the same way.
There is a little bit of cursing in the game, and although most of the music is typical pop/punk shite, some of it is -- get ready - actually pretty good.
The female skaters come complete with bouncing breast physics and schoolgirl skirts that fly up as you skate
. In other words, this game is marketed to the young male teen audience (as with most 'Xtreme sports' titles). But aside from that, there is a deep, immersive gameplay experience to be found here, complete with humor, an epic scale, and total replayability.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Joseph

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Blasphemy! ;)
Seriously, this game looks good to me and I hear THPS4 will borrow some things from it (no more 2:00. talk to people for goals, etc.)
I wish they were making it for Xbox, I love custom soundtracks on these games.
Doug

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Are the levels bigger than JSRF? How are the graphics compared to JSRF? How about the endless grinds like you can do in JSRF, possible in this game?
I thought THPS3 was boring while JSRF was great so I'm more interested in the JSRF comparison. Thanks! :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Are the levels bigger than JSRF? How are the graphics compared to JSRF? How about the endless grinds like you can do in JSRF, possible in this game?
I am a HUGE fan of Jet Set Radio (on the Dreamcast), and nothing can take its place IMO. Let me clarify: I am having as much fun with AI.

AI is very open-ended and emphasizes exploration and grinding, and getting to high perches in a massive world.
Its easier to pull of a complete grind around a world in AI, because the gameplay is geared more for grinding and there is simply more space to work with.

The levels are larger than the size of the self contained neighborhoods in the first JSR, but JSRF is massive and cannot be beaten size-wise.

The graphics in AI are not cell shaded, not stylized, and more on par with the THPS style. Gamers may be disappointed with the character models in AI, because they aren't as solid as the character models in THPS3 (or THPS4). The frame rate is pretty solid, and there are some especially nice puddle reflection effects in the tutorial session.

As much as I enjoy THPS3 (and consider skateboarding a more interesting sport), it is really really nice to be able to tackle a career mode without time limits.

The statistic system in AI is also great. The more you grind, the closer you get to leveling up your grind stats... the more you utilize the fakie, the higher your fakie stats, and so on. You can either choose to aim for the high score goals, or you can simply skate around, keeping your juice meter high, and build up your stats. It's these factor which IMO set this game apart from THPS3. It deviates from a simply goal-oriented game (which sadly, THPS seems to be).

But please understand that my comparisons between JSR and AI are not aesthetic or musical (the music in AI utterly sucks if compared to the Cibo Matto goodness in JSRF), but rather related to the scope of the world and the freedom your character is given w/grinding, etc.

Joseph

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Thanks Joseph!

(off topic) It's not that I'm not a fan of the Tony Hawk series, it's just I feel 2 things: it's tired and needs a gameplay rejuvenation and it's also heading in the wrong direction. Tony Hawk 2 was fantastic. The DC graphics were very good and so were the levels. Then TH3 comes out, the game gets more unrealistic. It's trying hard to be funny and it's not. Now the next one sounds even crappier.

If they want a mission based game, why not do something like license The Search For Animal Chin movie and replicate the locations the guys skate at. Get some of the awesome old Powell Perelta riders like Lance Mountain, Mike McGil (McTwist anyone?) and Ray Barbee.

I'd love to see someone else challenge the Tony Hawk series. Maybe if Aggressive Inline is good it could do that. Maybe I will check it out, hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely, Ryan. THPS3 was just too unreal. Just last week I started playing THPS2 again. What a great game...

-Dave

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The problem with 2 is that ramp people were penalized. If you couldn't string together grinds then you were SOL, and that's gay. With the revert to manual in THPS3 people that specialized at ramp tricks were aces whereas if you were a grind master and you didn't know vert, you were SOL. 2 of my buddies couldn't even pass the tokyo stage because they couldn't get a medal.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
You make good points Larry. Unfortunately it would be taking this thread off course if we delve into the Tony Hawk series. Better save that for another thread. I have a lot of thoughts and comments on what you said though.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Hehe, Oscar. :D I said better than THPS3. However I must agree with the majority opinion and state that THPS2 (for the Dreamcast, the only console I owned it for) was and is a superior game. In fact I remember playing it at your place for the first time and being blown away.
That said, AI is not an 'inline skating simulation' nor does it claim to be. It's a trick/exploration/adventure title (thus the fleeting comparison with JSR) under the extreme sports moniker. The fact that you can actually swing in loops around horizontal and vertical poles a la Olympic Gymnastics is a testament to the exaggerated physics.
One particularly favorite moment in the studio graveyard:
(California skater voice):
"oooohh... I am the ghost of inline skaters paaast.. freeee me from this pergutory..." etc.
If you fail and try again, he makes increasingly berating comments (as do all the people in the levels) until he's saying,
"Do you have any friends/who know how to skaaate?"
When you finally pass the tasks, the tree in the center of the graveyard twists and contorts (accompanied by creepy stretching noises) and one of the branches becomes a bridge to another part of the level. :emoji_thumbsup:
I don't mean for this thread to degenerate into 'what was wrong with THPS3 (which I happily own),' all I can say is, the tasks feel less constricting in AI, whereas in THPS3 they were so methodical and specific, and the 2:00 time limited your approach to said goals.
Joseph

John Bryant

Second Unit
I have AI rented right now, and hope to get it for my birthday next week. However, I don't know if it's as good as the TH series just yet. I have a few complaints with the game, but they are mostly minor. Fantastic game, and well worth the money :emoji_thumbsup: .

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Not yet, Jeff, but other developers have them in the works. Rage have "Rolling" coming out in the Autumn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks