What's new

PS2, Xbox price drop to $179 (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Sony is also offering a $199 "online enabled" bundle that includes a broadband or dialup adapter.

MS Press Release:

Add one more reason to buy an Xbox video game system today: a new, lower price. Effective immediately, the world's most powerful video game system will retail for $179.99 in the United States and $249.99 in Canada.

Right out of the box, Xbox enables the most advanced online and offline gaming experiences with its built-in hard drive and built-in Ethernet port. With an attractive new price, a tremendous lineup of games, and the rapidly growing Xbox Live online gaming community, Xbox represents the best choice for a wide range of consumers.

"Our commitment to the consumer is to offer the best system at the best price with the best selection of software," notes Robbie Bach, senior vice president and chief Xbox officer at Microsoft's home and entertainment division. "This new $179.99 price point for Xbox will bring the world's most innovative interactive entertainment system to the broadest audience."

In addition to this new price, Xbox is featuring an impressive line-up of new games for the coming year this week at E3, as well as enhancements to its online gaming service and innovative new entertainment products to expand the definition of video game entertainment.

Excerpt from Gaming-Age.com regarding PS2:

Yesterday Sony announced that it would release an enhanced version of the PS2. The package would include, among other goodies, the network adapter with the system for $199. In reaction to this news, retailers lowered the price of the current model of the PS2 to $179.99. It is unknown whether Sony will continue to manufacture both models, one at $199 and one at $179, or if perhaps retailers are just clearing out their remaining stock of older systems.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Bah!

Everywhere I read said it was going to be $149 for Xbox and PS2.

I already own both but my PS2 is on the fritz and I need to rebuy.

Doug

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You could wait until the $200 PS2 bundle that has the NA included.

This is good, I want to get an X-Box and this might make that happen sooner.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
The new PS2 will also offer progressive scan support and a IR port for the remote(which is also bundled I believe).

And the new pricing for both of these is stupid. I mean come on, $20. What's the point?

Sean

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard anything about price drops on the Game Cube? I am debating whether I am better off just getting a Zelda bundle now. Is it safe to assume that if Nintendo drops the price on the Cube any lower than $149 that it wont include a free game anymore?

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Morgan, thats what I figured. I may try to pick up a Platinum Cube with Zelda tonight if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.