Hoping for a Price Drop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott L, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It's now Thursday, Dec 4 and no change.

GC $99 w/Zelda Compilation disc*
    PS2 $179 w/2 crappy games*
    Xbox $179 w/3 crappy games

* = deal possibly gone now

One week into the season and there's no change, is it too late to hope for a price drop? And if it does drop what happens to those who bought a system the week before, will they get reimbursed 100% of the price difference?

Just making sure because I got those 10% off Best Buy coupons for this weekend only. My friends and I were planning on getting a system for a family we know (single mom and 5 kids). We were first thinking Xbox because of DVD play, but then we thought of all the 4-player games for Gamecube.

Thanks for any tips, hint, or rumors. ;D

edit- looks like Wallymart is offering the best deals. $169 for GC Zelda edition, extra controller (1st party), 2 memcards (3rd party), and Mario Kart. [​IMG]

2. AaronH

AaronH Stunt Coordinator

I doubt ps2 and xbox will drop before Xmas. Maybe late spring to put a jumpstart into their sales for the usual slow summers

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I agree with Aaron. The best chance you had at a price drop pre-Xmas was the Black Friday WalMart deal for the Cube+Zelda at $79.44 (which I got). Now that people are in a pinch for last-minute gifts to give, this is actually the least likely time they'll put things on sale. The next best chance for a price drop is a post-Xmas sale (which would be temporary). The next logical time for the companies to actually lower the MSRP would be Q1 or Q2 2004.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

You shouldn't have to worry about price drops too much. Most stores will offer a refund/cashback 30 days from the purchase.

Happened to me. I bought my GameCube in June for $230. 2 weeks later, the price dropped to $200. I simply took the reciept into BestBuy, and got $30 back. Easy as pie. mmmm, pie...

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for the advice guys. Took the plunge today and got a cube+zelda, controller, mario kart, nyko 17x mem card with a couple of friends. Other friends will be picking up 2 more controllers and maybe Viewtiful Joe.

Just wish I could see the kids' faces when they open it all up! [​IMG] Nothing says Xmas present better to a child than a brand spanking new console. Well maybe that's just my disturbed childhood. [​IMG]