What's new

ps2 network adapter- impossible to get? (1 Viewer)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Brian, I'm curious if Sony is levying any shipping and handling charges with TMB online. And is this offer for U.S. residents only or does it include Canada as well. Thanx in advance for any info you can provide.

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like they're covering all S&H on this - it's completly free! It says six weeks for delivery, and there's no mention of it being US-only.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I was able to get SOCOM today (no adapter until tomorrow). I really really like the headset in the single player version. It really adds a whole new level of gameplay. I think that once I get good with the commands etc that even in the heat of battle spitting out commands will seem like second nature.

how is the headset during multiplayer online? Hows the clarity of other players etc? Does it do that little chirp before each communication like it does in single player etc?

MatS

Screenwriter
PS2 ONLINE ADAPTER IS SLOW GETTING OUT
Many stores don't have the device on launch day.
By Ann Donahue 8/27/2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUG. 27 | Are you taking the Chicago Bears to the Super Bowl right now against some kid playing the San Diego Chargers? Perhaps not.
Although Tuesday had been hyped at the release date for the online adapter for the PlayStation 2, an informal survey by Video Business of stores on the first day of release found that the component was unavailable on launch day.
Despite being shown in the Sunday mailer for Best Buy, the store on Los Feliz Boulevard in Los Angeles did not have any of the accessory at opening. Neither did a Toys R Us next door, where the sales staff was unaware that the adapter was coming out Tuesday.
"Shows what they tell us," said one staffer, who declined to be identified.
Strike three came from a Fry's Electronics in Burbank, Calif.
Ryan Schneider, a spokesman with Sony, reported that there had been no problems with getting the accessory to retailers. "It's typical to take a full business day or two to get everything to retail," he said. "The stores should be full by Thursday."
A Best Buy location in West Los Angeles confirmed that the device will be available on Thursday.
Sony was to ship 500,000 units by March 31, 400,000 of those by this year's holiday season.
The adapter, which will allow gamers to play everything from Madden NFL 2003 to Twisted Metal Black to the upcoming Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 online, has been snatched up by online consumers. Amazon.com Buy.com and EBGames, the online site for Electronics Boutique, all show the adapter as back-ordered.
The device retails for $40 and allows those with either a broadband or dial-up connection and a separate Internet Service Provider to play. It faces competition in November from Xbox Live, Microsoft's initiative to capture broadband gamers.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article...2&catType=NEWS

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I finally got Socom, but their servers are either dead or slow. I can't get in. I'm under Starman.

Mike

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I can't get in. I'm under Starman.
Yep. At work we have been seeing some lag complaints and quite a few reports recently of people not being able to get in right now.(I work for a major ISP by the way). Not unexpected really, it is after all the first day of launch. Things will no doubt get better after the initial "gangbang" of the servers:D. Just give it some time Mike, should be up soon.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Got the adapter today. Im picking up SOCOM tommorrow. I can't wait. Anybody up for a little game of NFl2k3 tonight?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm about to go to bed, so maybe tomorrow.
How about a HTF Socom clan? :)
Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My friend got SOCOM today and we were playing it online. It's a real blast.

And you can also set the minimum connection speed for a game that you join/make. The game was lag-free.

millercv

Second Unit
woowoo! Just got one from the Huntsville AL Best Buy. Ended up buying Socom (after all of the talk here) and Super Mario Bros Sunshine.... Wife is going to KILL ME but oh well :)
Oh and FYI I would say they had about 10-12 of them at 10:45

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Best Buy had a ton of network adapters, I would say at least 20. This is more then likely everybodys best bet.

James St

Supporting Actor
I picked the network adapter and Socom this morning at Best Buy as soon as they opened. It was strange that BB didn't even have them on the shelves yet. There were ten people including myself waiting to buy one. The sales rep had to walk in back and grab a bunch. It was same rep I talked to yesterday about its availability.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Most of the upcoming online games will only support the official network adapter.
So far this is completely wrong. Madden 2003 supports it and now I have discovered that my Linksys adaptor also works with SOCOM. No, I did not read this, I have tried it. By the way those concerned about performance issues should not worry. The PS2 Network Adaptor is based on 10/100 as is the Linksys model I am using. I only paid $30CDN (about $19US)for mine and I am quite happy with my purchase (The PS2 Network Adaptor is about $68 in Canada - if you can find it).

Chris

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ugh. I can't find SOCOM anywhere in NYC. I'll try the new BestBuy tomorrow. I need something other than the built-in demos to try!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks