What's new

ps2 network adapter- impossible to get? (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Brett and I were discussing the fact that if you havent preordered the PS2 Network Adapter from a retailer before August 20th (im sure date varries) that you will have difficulty in obtaining the adapter on launch day (Wednesday, Aug 28th [or tuesday if your lucky])

Anyone else not bother preordering? Preordered and not getting it on launch day? Worried? etc.

I for one preordered mine from EB on June 20th, so Im as good as online!!

Thanks!

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'd not be worried about it. I would think that if you didn't pre-order, you should hit places like Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. I'm a pre-order as well, but I can't imagine a stampede to get this, but then again, Sony _COULD_ have a shortage...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm not sure how much of a hurry I am in to get this. I'm definately going to have it for Final Fantasy XI, but I hear that game requires the HDD as well. And I'm not really sure what's up with that. Last I saw, the Network Adapter and HDD were one and the same, and now it appears that they're not.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
FFXI required the HDD & network adaptor.

Originally, the two were to be bundled together, but following delays/cost issues, they're now seperate purchases.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I didn't preorder becuase I thought it wouldnt be a big deal but today I decided to try and preorder it. I should have done it earlier. All eb and gamestops in my area(6 of them)said they are all sold out for when it arrives. I realized though that as long as you go to best buy, target, wal-mart and those types of stores that will have it but wont advertise it that you should be able to find one. I plan on going to best buy at least an hour before they open on wednesday.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
only reason for me to purchase this would be for Final Fantasy 11, but there is also a PC version planned for that as well. I'll wait and see.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I have been playing Madden online for a couple weeks now with my PS2 and I don't own the PS2 modem. This is not a slam against Sony but simply to let people know that in this one case you do have options if you cannot find the Sony adapter (or want to pay less).

Chris

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
There's an article on IGN about the HDD and it mentions this:
But when you think about the Network Adaptor's projected numbers (500,000 units projected by fiscal year's end, March 31, 2003),
Hmm. I have/had no real idea of what kind of market penetration they were thinking with the network adapter, but judging from what I hear people talking about, seems like there _might_ be some sort of shortage. 500k units doesn't seem like much to expect to sell in 6 months.

Then again, I don't think the games I've seen are real blockbuster online games at this point for the PS2. I'm just getting it to have it and really just try it out.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Chris,

What options???
I guess I am gonna have to go to walmart early wednesday morning...I didn't think this would be a big deal either...

maybe FYE is gonna get some, I have pretty good rapport at my local one, better check today...

Thanks for the heads up guys

dan

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I talked to two local walmarts and both of them said they would NOT be getting it on Aug 27th and they were expecting it late december. Now how true this is, but it did come from one manager and the electronics managers.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I think what Chris is referring to is that there are a few USB adapters that are available that you can use with your ps2. A few people that I know have used these to play Tony Hawk 3 when it first came out.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Dan Keefe,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner but I was waiting for the person who gave me the information to jump in first (did not want to steal someone else's thunder). The usb ethernet card Dave mentioned will work - assuming that you have broadband of course.

Chris

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
will that work with all games, or only those that support it (ie Tony Hawk etc)

I know that NFL 2k3 says right on the website that "pop any usb adapter in" and your ready to go online. So it doesnt come right out and say that you need the official PS2 Network Adapter. But, i wonder if games like SOCOM will work with that linksys adapter etc.

either way, the cost of the linksys is probably close to the cost of the Official Network adapter no?

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I don't know how valid the above link is but it says that Socom only supports the official adapter.
Don't worry. I am sure that as long as you hit up the stores that people don't depend on video game items for you should be ok. The fred meyers, targets, and so on. Also that article says that you can drag bodies away. now how friggin cool is that:emoji_thumbsup:. This should inspire you to look far and wide for a network adapter. Anyway my plan is to get to Best Buy very early on thursday sense this is when they said it would be available. Also Toys R Us and Best Buy both told me that they didnt accept preorders. So as long as they are telling the truth if you get there earlier then everyone else you should score a network adapter no problem.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
yes, Brett and I had a long brainstorming session on where and how to get the adapter for those who do not have a preorder.

i for one did preorder, and since today is the official release date for the adapter, I will be calling my local EB every hour on the hour seeing if they received it early etc. if not, i will just get my hands on it tomorrow (but today would be sweet huh. . .)

good luck everyone trying to get one!

Brian D Scott

Stunt Coordinator
To everyone...

In order to help others out who are trying to get the adapter, please post your success stories over the next few days. If you can please provide location, quantity, and any other tips. I'll be looking over the next few days so I'll let ya know - I'm heading to Target in a few minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks