What's new

PS2 .hack, anyone try this out yet? Impressions? (1 Viewer)

Kris Coffin

Stunt Coordinator
Been looking at some reviews of .hack, and not too sure what to think. The tie in with the Anime movie is kinda cool. Anyone actually sat down and givin it a play yet?

KC

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the game comes with the first DVD of the anime. If they're releasing all of the games with their respective anime discs, that'd be cool.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
Bought this today, it's $40 at Target or Amazon if you want it.

Both the game and the DVD have Japanese audio tracks on them, and while the dub isn't bad, the Japanese is much better in my opinion.

The game will be available in four parts, each with the game and on volume of the .Hack//Liminality movie series. The first season of the show, .Hack//Sign now on Cartoon Network will also be available on DVD. The first volume comes out March 4th I think. There is also a manga, which may come to the US.

The premise of the game is that you are a player in an MMORPG. There is something going wrong, but instead of saving the world as in most RPGs, you save “The World,” the MMORPG.

The OVA DVD is very good, and includes the water drops Dolby Digital trailer. Two people were found unconscious after playing The World. Mai, one of them, recovered and is trying to figure out what happened and why her friend is still unconscious. One of the former employees of the CC Corporation, the makers of The World, is also trying to find out what happened. The ending leaves you hanging, and will presumably be finished in the other three volumes. The movie ties in closely with the game, and I recommend you watch it first.

The game is similar to Mega Man Battle Network, except you only play the online part. You start at the desktop, where you can access news and mail. You can also enter The World, and read the message board, or log in and play. The battle system is real time. The enemies run around, and you can go up to them and press x to attack, or use skills. You'll meet other players, and you can invite them to join your party. Much of the information you'll need to move on is in the message boards or e-mail. The areas you access from the center town are randomly made form keywords, or specific event places. The keywords determine what kind of area and the level. When you warp there, there are yellow orbs which singify enemies, and in each of these open fields is a dungeon. Here it plays like a dungeon crawler, you move into each new romm where there can be enemies or treasure chests, and with each deeper level the enemies get stronger. I haven’t played much, but so far it is very fun and the story is great. It simulates an MMORPG environment very well. The only downside is I’ve heard it is very short, able to be finished in about 16-19 hours.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
I've played about 10 hours so far. I'm really enjoying the game and concept. The story is also failure well done, though I'm expecting it to leave me hanging, based on reviews and the fact this is only part 1.

As mentioned, a friend has gone into a coma while playing 'the World', an online game. You read emails, a message board, and then log into the world to solve the mystery. Its very well done. The virtual world feels like an EQ type world. Getting emails from your playing partners adds to the immersion of the game, and reading the message boards is great, complete with dumb topics, to helpful questions.

The game is really well done graphically. Its not up to Kingdom Hearts level, but it hasn't disappointed me. The cutscenes are done with the games engine, and look a little better.

Fighting is pretty fast, similar to Kingdom Hearts. You attack as much as you can, while using skills (big attacks or magic). You have two others in your group, that you don't control, but behave well. You can issue rudimentary orders, such as heal, use magic, etc.

The anime that comes with .hack is also very well done. Again, its just part one of the series.

As far as shortness factor, it is supposed to be 20 or so hours. That is a perfect time for me, and a lot more then most games these days. With so many other good RPGs coming out, I'd rather focus on the story. FFX is certainly longer, but if you take out all the annoying random battles, you're probably left with only 10 hours of significant gameplay. (I definitely enjoyed FFX, but wish it was more like Chronocross, with visible enemies that levelled similar to your party).

My overall feeling is that the game is just fun, and unique. I like it more the Kingdom Hearts so far, mainly because of fewer puzzles. The game reminds me of a 3d Diablo at times, and all the areas are random, so you can keep replaying them. Its been more then worth the $50 I spent on it so far.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So are the fights more real-time action, and not turn-based?

Thanks,
Dave

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
Fights are all real time action. You walk up to the orb, and the enemies spawn. You can control your party and use their skills, or use scrolls ot your own skills. The enemies will move around, and you must be close enough to them to attack by repeatedly pressing X or use spells and attack skills from your weapons.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
The game is about 15 hours I think, and has some interest unlockables, such as new desktop art, and movies when you are done. I'm on the last battle, and I will probably have spent 15 hours when I'm done. Fairly short, and I did all the quests, but didn't really create my own random dungeons just to cruise through.

Its definitely a lot of fun. I can't see buying three more sequels though, if they all have the same gameplay, so hopefully something will change. While fun, I can see the combat getting old after a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks