What's new

Pround New SVS Owner (1 Viewer)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I am the proud new owner of an SVS 22/31 PCi. I purchased it from Kia303 over on HomeTheaterSpot. I have not had time to give it a real good test. I did pop in LOTR: Return of the King and skipped to the end. All I can say is WOW. This completely destroys my previous Velodyne F-1000 sub. The scene (Chapter 35) "The Ride of Rohirrim" where Rohan shows up with 6000 horses is totally unbelievable !!

Well I got to get back to my movie -

Thanks again Kia303 - Travis

:D

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Enjoy the SVS...............get out your favorite DVD's and enjoy for the weekend.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that's awesome that you have return of the king already!!!

I want that movie (albeit the extended version though). :)

Enjoy your SVS goodness!

Ed McCaffrey

Agent
Wow, you have the movie already, nice.

I am waiting for the extended edition too, heard it is going to be 4 hours and 50 minuted! I hope I can afford a sub by then.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget to watch the last 20 minutes of The Matrix Revolutions and the first 15 minutes of Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World. The Last Samurai however is not a very good subwoofer demo movie. The only real LFE are the gatling guns and those are pretty tame (bass-wise).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Watch the whole movie once then just re-watch the bassy parts :D

I'd really like the ability to "cut-n-paste" scenes from commercial DVDs to make a Ultra Bass Movie MegaMix DVD that I could use just for demoing my SVS to friends.

Unfortunatley such a technology would be illegal, even though I already own the movies :angry: .

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on your new SVS. I have 20-39 PCi and I am not sorry for the amount I spent on this sub. I watched Titan AE with my daughter this evening and there's so many bass in this movie. :) I went to the other room in my basement which is about 25 ft away from the sub. Guys, I can still feel the walls and doors shaking even at -10db only. :)

I'm really really satisfied with the performance of my 20-39 PCi. Something just goes weird in my outer skin everytime a long bass is played in the movie. Something similar to fear. But after the bass, it's goes away. :) One more, I do hear the bass but is 20-39 PCi not really built for strong bass? Honestly guys, I'm not putting down SVS. I'm just telling what I am experiencing. Very clear bass! Shakes my basement! Honestly!!! It's just now that I enjoyed watching all the dvds I have. I think I need to upgrade to 20-39 PC+ if I wanted to have more strong bass and while retaining the extensions.

Has anyone of you guys compared 20-39 PCi and 20-39 PC+?

Another question, how will my 20-39 PCi perform if it encounters sounds at 10Hz? Is there any DVD you can recommend that does have this infrasonic bass sounds?

Thanks guys!!!

SVS IS FANTASTIC.

Ronneil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Congrat's Travis! My SVS grin :D is a permanent facial feature (SVS 25-31PCi since APR. 2002) every time I fire up one of my blockbuster DVD's @ -10 dB below REF Level!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Based on the SVS Powered Cylinder Series Response Comparison Chart ...

... it will be about -16 to -17 dB below it's 20 Hz performance mark.

NOTE: Under similar testing conditions, the 25-31PCi is within a dB to the 20-39PCi @ 20 Hz, and couple dB of the 16-46PCi - which is why the 25-31PCi sounds and feels impressive with all blockbuster DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 DVD's.

The majority of the blockbuster DVD's today will have some LFE effects as low as 20 Hz and very few below 18 Hz.

SVS documented one DVD, Star Wars Phantom Menace, that had some encoded LFE down as low as 10 Hz, although it's about -10 dB below the sub's 20 Hz SPL ... read about it HERE! Interestingly, examining the the THX trailer (Red line) ...

... the sound designer purposely encoded higher SPL's below 20 Hz (peaking @ 18 Hz) vs. the actual Star Wars Movie.

Phil

terence

Supporting Actor
More & more movies are starting to produce useable subsonic bass with authority. Matrix Revolutions comes to mind. I think more DVD's will pick this trend up.

Here are some more waterfall charts

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

It is illegal to use a software hack to disable the DVD's encryption that would be needed to rip differant movies and burn the select chapters onto a DVD-R.

If its not illegal I'd like to know how I can get it done!

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
No - Really I meant "The Return of The King". The scene where they are attacking The White City and Rohirian Riders Charge through them. Not the end of "The Two Towers".

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Isn't it like with CDs that you can burn a backup copy legally if you own the DVD? As long as the copy remains with you at all times and you do not distribute it, I don't think there's a legal issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks