What's new

Proper 7.1 Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

Chris_Baez

Auditioning
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but here goes. I recently upgraded my receiver where I now have 7.1 Channel ability. I would love to explore this option but have a concern with overall setup in my environment. Currently the way my room is configured, my current rear speakers are to the extreme back of the room which is also my listening area. This also happens to be up against the staircase into the room, thus I really don't have a back wall to add additional speakers. My question is since I don't really have a back wall to add another set of speakers for full 7.1 configuration my only option would be to install a set in my drop down ceiling which would also end up being directly above my listening area and in the middle of my two rear speakers. Is this a valid configuration for good 7.1 effect or will the new channel interfere with the side speakers and minimize the overall surround effect?

Thanks

Chris

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
draw the floorplan, indicate current locations of speakers,equipment ,windows, doors, and furniture...

Chris_Baez

Auditioning
I have the sofa flush up against the stairs, so I really don't have a back wall to add speakers to. My only option would be ceiling speakers directly over the listening area. Again, is this worth it or will the ceiling speakers and/or rear side speakers interfere with each other. (The distances btw the two rears is about 10-11 feet).

(Sorry trying to add layout but having hard time doing so)

itai

Stunt Coordinator
chris, can you move your sitting area, sofa and stuff forward, away from the staircase? you said extreme back, does that mean a big room?

also, diffused sound speakers will serve you better in closed quarters, cause their not directed at your ear...(i mean rear/side surrounds)

Chris_Baez

Auditioning
Unfortunately it's not a large room and I can't really move around the furniture as it would interfere or create a really bad walking area in the room. Are they any specific brands you would recommend. Again, is it even worth it as I'm not sure how much material/movies is out there that would take advantage of this. Also, even though my receiver supports 7.1 I need to invest in an amp for this additional channel. Thus why I am questioning if it's worth it.

Chris

itai

Stunt Coordinator
well, i have a denon 3802 with 7.1 and it does add some, but what it does with 5.1 signals, or stereo, it combines the stuff and extracts something for the rears. it sometimes sounds nice, other not so nice. i find it a bit anoying with music and fun with dbs tv and 2 channel movies.

on 6.1 descrete (real) materials it is worth it. all i have is gladiator, in 6.1, so i tested it with old speakers for the back and its great. but 99% is 2/5.1 so i went back to 5.1, its enough for this year.

when more titles come out than i'll reconsider.

also, sacd and dvd-a are 5.1 only,(am i correct, or can they be 6/7.1 too?), so its not coming that fast.

i wouldnt buy another amp just for that.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks