What's new

Projector Mounting - Ceiling, Wall? (1 Viewer)

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
My room is in the 16x18' range, with vaulted ceilings, ~10' high. I have a ceiling fan mounted in the center which hangs down about 16" total. Options for my projector:

1. Remove fan, hang projector close to ceiling where fan was
2. Leave fan, try to hang projector towards back of ceiling. Would this be able to "miss" the fan? Remove fan if not.
3. Leave fan, mount on back wall. At what height?

I guess I'm looking for help on how far back I need to mount the projector, how high, and how the image will be thrown, etc. Goal is ~106" screen

Thanks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Where you mount the projector and at what height depends on what the image offset of the projector is, and at what height you want the top of your screen. What projector is it? It sounds to me like you should be able to leave the fan because your ceiling is so high. The bottom of fan is about 8'8" above floor, correct?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Well, I went up and remeasured. The room is basically a 14x14 box.

It's ~8' high on the edges, and then vaults up to ~10'. So the fan isn't even in play if I place the projector at the rear, which now seems like a good idea. Also, the rear has a 20" deep section past the 14' where I can build some shelving which will work perfectly.

I guess my only question now is how high can I place the projector?

If I plan to about max out the throw for the largest screen possible, do I need to be halfway up the wall (4' - which would not work as it would nearly be at head level while seated) or could I place it at nearly 8' and kind of project down?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
so let's say I have a screen that's
50"x88"

My wall is 94" x 168" so I could have dimensions something like:

40-88-40

So can I place my projector near the top of the back wall or does it have to be 22 + (50 / 2) = 47" down?

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
I guess I know it doesn't have to be the same height from the floor as the middle of the screen, I'm just trying to figure out how to tell by the specs if a projector will be able to do what I want.

Basically I'm probably going to mount it 7' off the ground, and want the top of the image 6' off the ground. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

This would be from a 1280x720p projector like the Optomoa HD70.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Chris, the image offset of the HD70 is supposed to be 33% of the image height. In other words, with your 50" tall screen, the top of image would be about 17" below center of lens(mounted upside down). You need to mount the projector higher than 7', plus it has to be mounted upside down. If you want the top of image 6' above floor, you need to have the center of lens at 7'5" above floor(mounted upside down). You could still use a shelf, but you'd have to mount the projector to the bottom of shelf, upside down.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Thanks for your help. I've seen where I can pull this information from the projector's user's guide. Looks like I need to mount it on the ceiling upside down to set the worst case "top of screen". I can always tilt it lower to move the screen down.l

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks