What's new

Project Greenlight: Season Three (merged) (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The whole "angle" of the show is to create the tension among the writer(s), the director, and the production team. They pick the writer and director that will create the most tension and drama for the show. It has nothing to do with actually making a decent movie.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I laughed a little when he said "I've never been a part of anything because we thought it'd market well.."

Really? (Stuck on You? Titan AE?)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Those were made, I'm pretty sure, because they believed in the the movies and their ability to generate money thanks to the story and the quality. With "Feast" it seems like they think it'll be (at best) possible to draw the audience with the marketing hook, rather than with the quality of the movie itself.

So far I don't see a huge difference between S3 and S1 and S2. They always start out with massive rewrites and a bumbling director (not surprising).
It seems like John is afraid to speak up about anything than the (idiotic) nepotistic casting. He must be very afrraid of leaving his "comfort zone", and I'm beginning to wonder if he actually DOES have any kind of vision for the movie.

/Mike

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If they make a movie about this season, they'll have to hire Philip Seymour Hoffman to play John Gulager! :D

I am absolutely riveted. Glad it moved to Bravo, since I don't get HBO (and HBO DVD sets are pricey!).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John Gulager's nepotism isn't all bad if it gets Clu Gulager (who is a very good and mostly forgotten actor) in the movie. After that, the nepotism is probably a less than good idea. I tend to think it's better to use actors than friends and family:)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Rule of thumb: Anything Ben Affleck is involved with these days turns to crap. Look at Jennifer Garner for example. Until she started dating him, Alias was a great show. Now, it sucks dog ass and so does her movie career(Elektra anyone?). :D

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi

I don't believe there is a motive behind picking the winners just to make the show more interesting. I felt there were legit reasons for picking the writers and director. Really, they could've made the show more interesting by picking even "worse" people.

Kevin Bacon was on Leno last night. He talked about how he directed a movie that will be released this year. Guess who's in it? His wife, his daughter, his son, and his dog. Nepotism isn't that uncommon. :)

~T

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but he has a little more clout I would think, plus his dog is a well known actor in its own right. I think his wife has been in a few things too.

/Mike

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm lovin this years PGL...much more watchable than the past two seasons.

I had to laugh when I found out John was Clu's son...

Throughout the 80's and early 90's we used to see Clu at many movies here in Tulsa...just came alone sportin' his Member's Only jacket. he was an avid movie watcher it seemed.

I recall sitting near John and his dad at a diner my friends and I frequented back in those days..they were always talking about movies they were "making". It was amusing listening to them go on for hours about stuff.

I'd love to see what the heck the "Fucking Tulsa" movie was all about that they showed on this weeks episode.

Looking forward to seeing how this season plays out.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
So, the moment they use as a preview from ep. 2 appears in the last TWO MINUTES of this show. What a lame preview.

Great moments, though, including pitching the film to outside investors; and John in the pitch meeting performed exceptionally well, really showing a vision for how this thing could be filmed with a look/feel and the films he selected as examples.

However, the big fight over the family is ridiculous, and it seems as though for editing purposes of the TV show, it's being drawn out more then it was.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It was great to see John step up this week.

I don't think the family problem is drawn out more than it was. John wants his family while the others don't, and no side has given in yet.

I would have liked to have seen Chris give a reason for being so upset about John's wanting to meet with Bob Weinstein.

~T

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised John didn't pull out the biggest offer to make a deal to get his family: "We're on a tight budget; let's get names for the rest of the roles, but we can slot these people for ZERO money basically, which leaves us more for where I feel we need it.." Sure, it's the Ed Woods-ian argument, but based on the series, it has a ring to it..

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I see they are changing the schedule for this. Does that mean it isn't getting good ratings? I definitely want to be able to see this whole season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From the revised schedule, new episodes are going to be shown on Thursdays at 10 p.m. EST, but episode 7 will be shown on Tuesday 11 p.m. EST (April 26).

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

He did, about 5 times.

There are a million other things he needs to be working on/thinking about instead of shooting screen tests of his carnival family and flying to New York.
If casting his family is his #1 passion, the game is over and Chris knows it.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Does it bother anyone that the Money man guy Rona had to rent Tremors and I think Evil Dead2 and some other genre titles when he is in charge of the genre part of the studio? I think this is why nothing fresh ever gets made. Sigh.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
John's family can't appear free in the movie. It's against union rules. If they have a role, they get scale. Otherwise, the union would be all over them for taking paying jobs away from union actors.

I really like Chris Moore. Even when he's really upset, his arguments still make sense, and he can cut right to the heart of the issue.

And, as long as John keeps pushing his family, he will only ever be a contest winner. That's what makes people look down on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks