What's new
World Wide Stereo

Progressive Scan vs Component (1 Viewer)

Craig G Sharpe

Auditioning
My wife and I are in the market for a new TV. We will be watching DVDs, and digital cable. I have been looking at the Toshiba 32af43 and will use component.

I did notice that certain people talk about the 32hf72 (last years model). I don't know if I can find this but it does have HD and progressive scan. Is there a noticable difference between progressive scan and component? I understand the concept behind both but we are trying to save money and if the difference is not night and day then I will wait for when we buy our dream tv in 2-3 years.

Please advise.

728x90

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I may not know as much as most of the people here, but I can tell you what I know from my experience. In my opinion component video makes a HUGE improvement over s-video. The difference really is night and day, and you especially notice it in the fine details of your DVDs. You you look at the trees far in the background, s-video will usually not show any detail but in component, you can clearly see each and every leaf on the tree. It makes a huge difference.

As for progressive scan...I also think it makes a huge difference. I've put my player in interlaced mode just to see the difference, and it's certainly there. Colors and detail is a lot more defined in progressive. A much sharper SMOOTHER image.

Rob_V

Agent
Is there a noticable difference between progressive scan and component?
Progressive scan is a function of component output. You can not get progressive scan from composite or s-video. They can not be compared the way you are asking.

Craig

Second Unit
The 32af43 does have a 16x9 mode, so you'll be able to take advantage of the extra resolution from anamorphic/enhanced DVDs. I think the 16x9 mode would be a lot more important than prog scan on a 32" TV.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
If your not going to buy a progressive scan tv I highly recommend you get a set with the anamorphic squeeze. At the very least you'll be able to watch your movies in the highest resolution possible when using a component cable. The new Sony sets just shipped and they feature 2 component cables and the 32" set is going for $750 at Best Buy this week. Thats a nice tv that does not do progressive scan but will allow you to watch movies in anamorphic widescreen as well as use component cables.

Dan.B

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Most people do not notice much of a difference between interlaced component video and S-video. Generally what you gain is improved colour saturation. Resolution from most player is about the same either way.

Going from Composite video to S-video yields a more noticable improvement.

Going from interlaced to progressive allows you to sit closer. The image is more solid and film like since the spaces between scan lines is reduced. You also get a slight improvement in resolution / detail, cleaner signal than interlaced.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks