Component w/ progressive scan v.s. DVI Upconverting?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt*B, May 12, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I have read around on the differences between DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component. Basically, as you may know, they all pretty much agree that the PQ can be VERY close with all sources depending on the source. However, the question I have was never specifically touched on... I'm going to be picking up a Mits 65" WS-65315. I currently have the ever-famous Panasonic RP-82 DVD Player. Now, I am trying to decide if component (using prog. scan, of course) would look the same, worse, or better than buying a new Samsung DVD player that upconverts using a DVI connection? Are there any players that use DVI but don't upconvert? Is that an option that can be turned off? If that's the case, then there may be times when a "non-upconverted" DVD signal using DVI looks better than the up-converted one....

Anyhow, back to my RP82. Now, this player uses progressive scan. I have never had an HD set before, and I understand that Prog. Scan is only utilized when the TV is HD....is that true as well? I would like to think that my RP-82 with component will be better than the new upconverted DVI players -- but I suppose your responses will answer that for me....

Thanks,

Matt

2. John S

John S Producer

There was a vintage just before HDTV's where a TV could be a DTV and accept 480p input. Now they are all HD or at least can take HD input that have this capability.

DVD players are an odd beast. I'd say it may be worth a try for you, but in the end. I'll bet you stick with your current DVD player that you like so much.

I have to ask though... So you have a highly reguarded Progressive scan DVD player but have only used svideo from it?

If so, you have to at least give it's 480p output a shot on it. [​IMG]

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I'm not sure why you expect the RP82 to look better via component PS than a newer, upconverting player through DVI? Sometimes component will look better with certain material, only because it hides problems on the disc, where DVI passes those problems through. Is that what you're talking about? If so, it won't have anything to do with the resolution.

To answer your question, a DVI player doesn't have to upconvert. Usually they are capable of 480p, 720p, and 1080i. You just pic the one that looks best with your display.

I'm sure you're player will look fine via component at 480p though. An upconverting player isn't a 'must have' IMHO, a good one is just nice to have. If you like your player (and it sounds like you do!) I wouldn't change it unless you're unhappy with the PQ you're getting.

4. John S

John S Producer

Well on my thinking.. nearly every DVD player has something just not so great about it these days.

A tried and true good DCDi via component video output player, just may avoid some frustration is all.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for a while i had the mits 65313 hooked up to the samsung 841 (?) upconverting player -- via dvi.

i compared it to component out and i would say the quality was very close, but a slight nudge to the dvi. the picture was a little brighter and the jaggies were a little smoother. tbh, i really had to look for it, but it was there.

this answer is easier then you think. [​IMG] just buy the dvi setup and see for yourself...you can always return it if you don't feel it's a worthwhile investment.