What's new

Progressive Scan problems (1 Viewer)

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, this is probably not the smartest question, but I have run into a roadblock..
I purchased a new TV and received it on Saturday.. I already had a Progressive Scan DVD player (JVC XV-S60BK) and the new TV is *DVD Ready* with the component outputs on the back.. So, I hooked it up and it worked okay until I hit the button (on the DVD Player) that switches it into PS mode and then the picture tweaks out and looks like a scrambled picture (kind of like what cable stations do to scamble the adult channel).. I switch out of PS mode and it works okay again.. So my question is, what am I not doing correctly?
My TV is a 32" Sharp 32U-S600 and my DVD player is a JVC XV-S60BK and I have the components going straight from the DVD player to the TV and the Coaxial Digital Output for sound going to my receiver.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.. I am going nuts trying to figure out why it's not working like it should.. Right now, I have it hooked up through the S-video, which is still pretty good, but I bought both the TV and DVD player for that PS feature...
Also, please let me know if any additional info is needed to help..
Thanks in advance! :)
-Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Component video inputs and HD component inputs on an HDTV capable set are not the same thing. PS will not work with out an HD capable TV, which the set you bought is not.

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks!

Okay.. That would be why it wouldn't work then..

Next question would be, since when I hook up the component imputs from the DVD player to the TV it works okay, is this connection better or worse than using the S-Video connection?

-Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Component is a higher grade connection and will have better color than S-video, but the picture clarity should be very close.

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for your help! :)
This does help out a lot!
I will hook it back up through the component imputs then... :)
-Jason

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Technically, a set can be progressive capable without being HD compatible (31.5khz for 480p vs. 33.75khz for 1080i) but these sets are few and far between.

Component has much improved color resolution (even when non-ps) over S-Video, but on a 32" it's not a huge difference, but noticable and worth the price of the cables.

Make sure to calibrated your set with THX Optimizer (at least) or Avia or Video Essentials too!

Jason Tracewell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bill!
I am going to pick up some component cables probably today to connect it that way.. The cables I was using just to see if it worked were the same cheap ones the DVD player came with.. So I am definitely getting better cables.. :)
I have it hooked up via the S-cable right now and actually ran the THX Optimizer last night to calibrate it and watched a few scenes from different movies to make sure it looked alright.. and one of these days, I'll get the Video Essentials one too.. ;)
Thanks to both of you for your help! It has been greatly appreciated!
-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks