What's new

Progressive Scan DVD player or DVDO iScan Pro? (1 Viewer)

Richard Watt

Agent
I'll admit that I don't know much about the iScan Pro. However, I'm trying to go the best upgrade route for my home system. I am in the market for a RPTV that can display a progressive image.
I currently have a Sony 7700 DVD player. I was going to look into getting a progressive scan DVD player such as the Panasonic RP91. But, I was reading that if you have an iScan Pro, you can run your DVD player (non progressive out), VCR, Dish, etc., into the iScan and get a progressive output. Is this true?
If it is, then not only could I keep my DVD player, but I can also improve the image of VHS and Dish.
Edit:
Sorry, I should have searched this before posting. However, the threads I did find didn't answer my questions though.
------------------
27" Mistsubishi
Yamaha RX-V995
Sony DVP-S7700
DCM 10" Stand Speakers
Vampire Wire/Monster Cable Interconnects
[Edited last by Richard Watt on September 02, 2001 at 07:49 PM]

Len Cheong

Second Unit
It depends on your viewing system. If you have a big screen tv then you would benefit from getting either one. I don't have a dish but I do have the ISCAN v.1 and it greatly improved my Sony 7000's image. I can't comment on the latest version of the ISCAN. Having said that, I've seen images from strictly progressive dvd players and they are better (sharper) than those of my setup. I have a 65" Pioneer 700. Possibly because the progressive image is created with less steps since it is done in the digital domain. With respect to VHS, it makes the picture more grainy and the colours are more vibrant.
I've read recently and I still have a post up in this forum about a progressive upgrade to the Sony dvd players (7000 and 7700) offered by MSB technologies. It costs $895 and it also allows you to scale the image. I've found that most of what I use the ISCAN for has been dvd so instead of buying another ISCAN, I will go for the upgrade.

Richard Watt

Agent
Well, as it stands now, my tv will probably be a 43"-53" 4:3 HDTV RPTV, either from Toshiba or Sony. Those are the ones I like best.
This may be changing the topic some, but I may go with a HTPC instead. I have a second computer with a DVD player, etc. and from what I read using this would give a better image than a prog. scan dvd player. Plus I could also use it as a scaler of some sort, so I could clean up the VHS and Dish images as well. This would save me some money and it would allow me to tinker with my computers some more. :)
Either way, it's fun trying to plan this all out. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks