What's new

Progressive scan DVD for HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Brian^E

Grip
I've got a middle of the road Sony 6 disk DVD changer (about 2 years old) that does NOT have progressive scan. I now have a new Panasonic 32 inch HD tube TV. How important is it for me to upgrade to progressive scan?

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Does your Sony have component outs (assuming your TV has component ins)?
Does your TV have any de-interlacing modes?

If no to either question, then I would think you would get a substantial increase in picture quality by upgrading to a pro-scan player.

Brian^E

Grip
The DVD player does not have a component output, while the TV has two component inputs. The TV is capable of 1080i and 480p.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The difference between feeding via compoisite and/or svideo, and Component is way worth an upgrade...

You will be amazed at how much better it is.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same boat you are in two weeks ago.
I purchased a Sony KP-57WS510 rear projection HDTV but had a two plus year old Pioneer home theatre system.
That home theatre system had a five disk carousel attached to the receiver unit (thus HTIB). Not being progressive scan yielded grainy, poor resolution DVD playing on my new HDTV.
After a mind wrenching analysis on this forum and the entire intenet I purchased a single disk, progressive scan DVD player (Sony DVPNS725P).
I must say that after listening to people talk about Faroudja DCDI chips and the "Chroma Bug" problem, I was waffling and wavering all over the place.
Bottom line is that my decision was an excellent one, and I could not be happier. The new Sony DVD player puts forth an awesome picture (Chroma Bug free mind you), and the sound is fabulous. I have it connected to my HDTV via component connections (one red, one green ,and one blue). The sound is sent to my Pioneer HTIB via digital coax (new DVD player has optical also, but old HTIB only has Dig Coax). Dolby Digital Surround sound is fabulous.
What makes this all even better is that I only paid $ 109.88 for the Sony DVD player at BB becuase I found a flyer for SEars advertising such. I had nothing to lose.
Later on I will build a complete component system, again with the help of this forum.
Wow, this is a long post!!!!
Good Luck!

Al.

Clayton_T

Grip
I have a 32" Philips HDTV. My problem was that I only had 1 component HD input. I already had an inexpensive JVC progressive scan dvd player and was blown away by the picture quality. When I purchased an HD receiver, I moved my progressive scan dvd player to a non-HD component input. The tv is supposed to upscale to 480p or 1020i, but the tv's upscaled picture came nowhere even close to the dvd player's progressive picture. Therefore, I would recommend a progressive scan dvd player without hesitation.

As for the 1 HD component input, I purchased a 4x2 component video switch from AV Toolbox which is rated for HD signals. I am very, very pleased with it.

Brian^E

Grip
OK - I'm still frantically looking for a decent DVD player I can afford. I came across the Panasonic RP62. This seems to be the RP82's little brother and uses the Genesis FLI2200 chip instead of the Faroudja.

It seemed to do pretty well at the DVD shootout - what do ya think?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The RP62 is decent quality, but does have a few issues that the RP82 lacks. Also many owners of the RP62 on the forums have reported its spindle motor fails after only 8-9 months of use, so it has a reliablity problem. The Panasonic XP30 or XP50 models with Faroudja are the most reliable, they came out later so I think they got all the bugs ironed out by then. I got a used XP30 several months ago on EBAY for $250 and its performed great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks