What's new

Progressive mpeg2 output on the XBox is stunning (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, I just got my Official X-Box mag with game disc 7. I'm a relatively new owner, so I didn't have DOA3. There is a very nice demo of it on the disc.

What suprised me was not the fact that the game itself was 16:9/480p, but that the video intro is completely 480p anamorphic. It looks amazing! Just as good or better than even my home HTPC setup. This movie is clearly a full mpeg2 video with a very high bitrate.

I hope MS changes gears and allows progressive output (doubtfull) or someone figures a way to hack it. I was really suprised at how excellent it looked.

Gary King

Second Unit
I believe a lot of game developers use Bink as their video compression system of choice, rather than MPEG2.

Eric F

Screenwriter
This was clearly very high bandwidth video, I have an HDTV and know what bink usually looks like and this was not it. If it is Bink it's the best encode I've ever seen, and I've never seen one that was anamorphic with a dolby digital track.

I assume it's the same opening movie (all CGI) on the full DOA3 disc. If anyone else has it they probably know what I mean.

On the other hand the JSRF demo defaults to interlaced which is a bummer. I know the full game is 480p.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the video in DOA3 "1.0" is different. I like the new one better. There are also very high quality CGI sequences for each character that can be viewed once you've beaten Story Mode, which is a string of fights and CGI sequences. I wonder if they are progressive? I am not gifted with a progressive monitor.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
This must be something different, because the intro to DOA3 is rendered in realtime, not an MPEG video. Looks much better than the non-realtime videos at the end of the game's Story Mode(s).

What is the content of this video you are seeing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks