What's new

Program to copy files to CDs or DVD needed! (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I want to backup a directory to CD or DVD. The trick? The directory is 60 gigs in size. I do NOT want to manually format this directory into 700MB (or 4.7GB for DVD) chunks, but would rather the software do it, and do it in a way that the files can be simply copied off the CD's to a hard drive and still be in the same relative position to each other.

The problem I'm finding is that most software that burns to CD either doesn't support spanning over several disks, or uses a proprietary format so that you need the original software in order to get your data back. I want the CD's to be readable in any computer.

Anybody have a solution for me? Thanks!

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Your best bet is to use WinRAR to compress the directory, then create a series of 4.5 GB (or 670 MB) RAR files. Also you might want to create a set of PAR files, just in case something goes wrong.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Jeff, how do you get Nero to do that? I can't find any options for this. The only thing close I see is HD Backup, but that is definately not what I want.

WinRAR won't work because the files I'm saving aren't very compressable. This means I'd need double the space to just block them up. And I don't really want the CD's to have just big zips on them, but to have every file visible and accessible without going through a compression program.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Well, I found exactly what I want at least for CDs, I don't know how well it works for DVDs.

The program is Musicmatch's Jukebox Plus. Actually the burning feature is a sub program included with a bunch of other stuff I haven't even looked at.

However it works great. Point the burn program to one's directories, then its sorter automatically orders the files so that you get approximately equally sized CDs ready to burn. The CDs have the info saved as if they were normal data CDs, and the burn program automates the whole system so that all I have to do is swap CDs.

Jeff: please let me know how Nero does this as well, as I do trust Nero's burning much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks